Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newb - dont know where to start

1. Back To Top    #1

newb - dont know where to start

First let me say that I am new to the site and looks like a great forum. I need some help with my setup. I never really realized there was a problem until last time i cleaned the filters and put it back together. I don't know every spec of the pool but here is what i do know

Built in 2007
    hayward super 2 pump 1-1/12
    hayward swimclear c3020
    auqa logic aql-p-4
    hayward pool vac ultra
    plaster
    separate vacuum line

After I put it back together, I noticed that it is running dry or at least not much water in basket. I try to fill but can never get it full. The pump also seems to rattle a bit and is just not as quite as I remember. I pulled the pump apart and looked for anything obvious (debree) around the impeller, not really sure what else to look for. I rinsed off and put back together.

I have put a new o-rings on the filter housing and a new one on the pump lid, made sure everything was clean, lubed and i replaced the pump basket that was cracked. Filters are clean, psi on gauge is about 12, vacuum runs like a champ, skimmer has good suction. has serious flow into pool from returns, can't find any obvious leaks. When I turn off the pump I can see the pump basket fill up with water but after I turn it back on, the basket is empty again within a few seconds.

Im not sure what to do next expect to pay some genius hundreds to tell me to clean my filters which I have already done and they are near new.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: newb - dont know where to start

You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer, air is being sucked into your system. Since you have been working around the pump basket, I would start there and then work your way back towards the skimmer(s).

Find that leak and the issue is fixed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School