Jul 12, 2010
All,
I have been struggling with an air leak in my system for the last two years. I can not find the air leak above ground. I know it must be underground.
I have 1.5 inch pipes and from everything I have learned on here, I believe that my pump is oversized.
I am not sure if I can just get a 3/4 HP pump to replace what I have and hope that it pulls in much less to no air or if I should run new pipes from the pool back to he pump. I have no problem getting a new pump and/or filter if needed to convert from 1.5 to 2 inch pipes. I would just like the air leak to stop.
It is so bad this year that you can see air bubbles on the sides of the pool all day long.

With a 1 hp pump I don't think going to a 3/4 hp pump is going to make much difference.

If you're absolutely sure the leak is underground, replacing the piping might be the best option. If I were going to the problem of replacing them I'd definitely go with 2".

I know it must be underground.
Sure could be but almost never is. Before you dig up the pipe, run a temporary line that you can stick down in to the pool over to where your new line will connect with the pump, valves, etc. IF the leak is underground, that should bypass it and your bubbles will stop.

That is genious!!! Thank you for the advice of running the line outside the pool first.

Another question, is it possible that there is a leak under the pump basket, just before the super pump? I see wanter underneath that is leaking out. I am sure that it is not from the lid. It is coming from somewhere that I can not see, but I can see the water pools up slowly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.