Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt in a non SWG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt in a non SWG pool

Up until this season, I always had a SWG. I loved the side benefit of the way the salt made the water feel. This year I am using the LQ. I also for the first time ever added borates to 50 ppm. It seems to be effectively preventing the white stuff in my LQ. But the water doesn't feel as nice on the skin as the salt pool did. Does anyone put in salt even though they don't have a SWG? Any problems having salt AND borates?

Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt in a non SWG pool

Quote Originally Posted by feetr2c
    Does anyone put in salt even though they don't have a SWG? Any problems having salt AND borates?
    Yes, many people do. Not a problem to have both.

What happened to your salt? Many people aim at about 2000 ppm, I would check your levels before you add.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have to wonder... Suppose I have a 3200 ppm salt concentration in a non-SWG pool. Would this mean I could employ the lower FAC levels of the SWG pool shown in the FAC/CYA chart? It is my understanding that the reason that salt pools need less chlorine is because the types of algae that are present in areas located far from the ocean coasts are not native to salt water, and therefore cannot thrive.

Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

4. Back To Top    #4

No, it doesn't work that way. The lower FC levels are a result of the extreme chemistry inside the SWG cell, not the salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School