High CYA & TA, or manageable?

cramar

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Sault Ontario
Just opened the pool up last week, water was in really good shape after following winter close up instructions in pool school!!

CYA = 54
TA = 150
Ph and FC/CC are all on target.

I also finished plumbing in a fountain, I'm wondering if I should aerate to drop those levels a bit. Any suggestions for a pool my size, also, any rough ideas on how many hours of aerating I'd be looking at?

PS, we've got a good blast of rain coming our way in the next few days (supposedly), maybe that will be enough to knock them down a bit.

Lowering TA can take a while. Start by lowering the PH to 7.2, then aerate to raise the PH back up without also raising TA, and when the PH comes up to something reasonable repeat. Depending on a large number of factors, this can take anywhere from a couple of days to several weeks. Generally it goes fairly quickly at the start, and slows down as TA gets lower.

By the by, saying "are all on target" doesn't really help us. It is far better to have numbers for each of the levels.

CYA is fine - well within the tolerances on the test. Just be sure to maintain the minimum FC level accordingly.

TA will come down all by itself if you are scrupulous about maintaining pH. If you get tired of adding acid every day, then get aggressive and follow the directions in Pool School.

My advice is to stop fussing with it and get in!

Yeah, TA of 150 isn't bad. At least if your calcium isn't off the charts. If your pool is clear, I wouldn't worry that much about it at 150. I deal with high TA every year at opening due to our fill water being so high (220 out of the faucet). I usually point my jet upwards for splash for a week or two, ratchet it down to under 180, and I'm good to go. Every pool is different, but like I said if your calcium level isn't high and your pool is clear you should be ok. Your PH may or may not creep up once in a while, you'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.