Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How best to deal with backwash from a salt pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How best to deal with backwash from a salt pool

I'm also thinking about switching to salt and am very close to buying. However, a couple friends of mine have killed grass and other plants with the backwash. They were both able to alter their discharge area to reduce the effect. With the slope of my lot and being surrounded by other houses, I'm pretty much limited to the back yard lawn.

Has anyone had the same problem? Any tips on how best to deal with backwash from a salt pool? Thanks for any insight.

Tom

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How best to deal with backwash from a salt pool

The majority of the time water from a salt pool will just help the grass grow in more lushly. However, depending on climate and soil conditions that isn't always true.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah..I've never heard of killing the grass with the B.W. from a SWG pool...I run my SWG with 5600ppm and backwash has never affected my grass at all.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I haven't seen any posts complaining of dead grass or dying shrubs but I was hesitant after hearing stories from my friends. One of them had new sod so maybe it was a little less tolerant.

Just trying to find the pitfalls before making the switch to salt. Will be installing soon!

Tom

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't had any problems with the lawn from my BW either.
    ~20,500G 18x36 IG Vinyl Sports bottom
    300lb Hayward sand filter 1HP Hayward superpump
    Aquarite SWG T15

6. Back To Top    #6

I've got Sega Palms in sand and now that I see this topic, they did NOT like the backwash. A couple of days after the bw, the the leaves became yellow and droopy. We don't have grass so I can't speak to that. The next bw we will divert down the slope a different direction.

These forums are SO helpful!
    15,700 gallon outdoor AG 18'x33' vinyl pool; Family Leisure Perma-Salt System with 1.5hp EcoKleer sand filter, 70GPM; pump runs 24x7.

7. Back To Top    #7

I've not had any trouble with the backwash in grass. Other plants may be harmed by it, or the chlorine, but my grass has never had any ill effects from backwash, not from the salt or even from chlorine while shocking.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits