New Pool Project for 2012, (ended up less pool more project)

Re: New to site and new pool project starting this year

Hey everyone,

Hope you all had a fabulous weekend, and to all the Farthers out there a Super Farther's Day.

Hoping everyone has a great work week, (if that is possible, lol).

Well we made no progress today, I had NO clue you could get this sore just from laying floor tiles, my aches have pains and my pains have aches, even my backside has muscle aches, I sound like an old maid just getting up off the couch, lol.

We got a little bit of rain last night, we were hoping for much more than we got, shoot it dried out by noon today.

I am hoping I can move enough to work on the shed floor again tomorrow, really want to get that done so the mortar can fully set and we can move the wood furnace and get the shed put up, need to get it out of the way, and have a dry place to store our tools besides under tarps, under the house and inside the backdoor.

Well enough babbling for tonight.

Here's to a great week ahead. :cheers:

Morning everyone,

Well still no new pics to post, managed to get out yesterday and got another 1/4 of the shed floor done,(actually have 33 of 64 done), used all the mortar we had, so will have to pick up a couple more bags tomorrow when we go to town.

I got enough done in the right spot now to move the furnace once it sets up properly, maybe in another week?

Thinking about going back to bed, lol, sore muscles woke me up too early this morning.

Well here's to all of you Fabulous People having A Wonderful Day! :cheers:

Hi Samantha!
That sounds like hard work! You deserve a break! Go back to bed. We are still digging roots from clay! Can we borrow Big Yellow?
Hang in there!
Cheers,
Liz

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Hey Liz, :wave:

What surprises me is what we are doing now is not all that hard, but man is it making me sore.

The hardest part is just mixing the mortar, (and that isn't bad), other than that is is just being done on my knees, spreading the mortar, placing each tile and making sure it is level in both directions.

After the first day I didn;t realize you could hurt in so many different places, lol.

Hope you are getting the upper hand on those roots, and even Big Yellow wouldn't help ya there, when I hit roots down at the dig site, he really has trouble with them, now if the backhoe was running, that would be a different story, it will dig anything.

Just don't overdo it out there in that heat.

Take care.

Hi Samantha,
Amazing how the little things can introduce us to a whole new world of pain! :hammer:
We did little things in the backyard yesterday. My hubby and I are both in our 50's, so we are not as flexible as we once were. Thank goodness our 10 year old twins want to help, and we let them do the bending over to plant the flowers! They are angels! :angel: :angel:
We are losing to the roots so far. We lost the battle, but not the war, yet.... :rant: :grrrr:
Luckily, it's cooler here by about 15 degrees. I thought I would never be happy to see 90 degree weather! And the Delta winds are cooling things down. :-D
I hope to put up a picture soon of the "progress" we have made.
Don't work too hard! And take some time to relax! :cheers:
Cheers, :wave:
Liz

Hey everyone, :wave:

Just thought I would post a quick update, nothing very exciting at this point.

After getting off to a late start today, (waited for the rain they were promising us, (Never happened, Pouting)), we finally got the rest of the floor tiles all set for the shed floor, YEAAAAAAAAAA!

Hoping to get the grouting done tomorrow, and then turn our attention back to leveling and setting timbers for the border.

It was a pretty nice day out today though, mostly cloudy, light breeze, low humidity, and cooler, and supposed to be cooler tomorrow but more sunshine.

Gonna be a Hot weekend though, so thinking we might either work on getting the furnace ready to move from the barn or work on water and power from under the house out to the shed and equipment area.

I will try and get a few pics tomorrow depending on if we get anything done worth noting, lol.

Have a Great End to the Week Tomorrow. :cheers:

nelson411 said:
Luckily, it's cooler here by about 15 degrees. I thought I would never be happy to see 90 degree weather! And the Delta winds are cooling things down. :-D
Liz

We should get together for an iced tea. If you felt the delta breeze tonight, we are pretty close to each other. I actually felt "cold" about 8:30 when the breezes really kicked in. I was working on my pool deck and I had to find more clothes.

For those outside of NoCal, it was over 104F this weekend, today's high was only 88F, and its now 58 at 10 pm and we have 14 MPH breezes.

Hey Everyone, :wave:

TGIF, YEAAAAAAAA! :whoot: :party:

Hope you all had a wonderful week!

Well we didn't get done what we thought we would today, we kinda changed the program, (chose the lesser of 2 evils so to speak, lol), since it is going to get miserable hot this weekend we thought we would go ahead and get the shed put together first and then finish the floor under roof where there would be more shade than the canopy was providing.

Yea, canopy gone, shed is on it's way!
0622121928.jpg

Not exactly the color we thought it was though, sighs, but for the deal we got we will live with it, might paint it later on.
0622121929.jpg

Foundation worked out really well, was level and even all the way around, didn't have to fight with the walls at all.
0622121929a.jpg

Already moved the chair inside for shade to take a break, lol.
0622121930.jpg

Floor is gonna look nice in there I think.
0622121930a.jpg

Well that is about it for tonight, at least we made some progress, gonna see if we can get our best friend to come down early in the morning before it gets too hot and help get the roof on.

I know everyone just Loves pics, but I can't wait to post pics of a NEW POOL sitting out there.

Hoping everyone has a Safe and Happy Weekend! :cheers:

Hi Techguy!

techguy said:
We should get together for an iced tea. If you felt the delta breeze tonight, we are pretty close to each other. I actually felt "cold" about 8:30 when the breezes really kicked in. I was working on my pool deck and I had to find more clothes.

That sounds great, but I prefer "Arnold Palmers" myself. We are just outside of Sacramento on the way to Tahoe. Great weather we are having still. I was able to work outside on the tree roots yesterday and today. I think we have one more big artery of roots to excavate, and then we can start thinking about leveling!!

Better bundle up!

Have a great weekend!

Liz :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hey Samantha!

Samantha Sabrina said:
Well we didn't get done what we thought we would today, we kinda changed the program, (chose the lesser of 2 evils so to speak, lol), since it is going to get miserable hot this weekend we thought we would go ahead and get the shed put together first and then finish the floor under roof where there would be more shade than the canopy was providing.

You two have done a great job on that shed! :goodjob:

I love the tile and the design. What kind of tile is that? :)

We are still digging roots, and hopefully will have more out today. Hubby was out sick yesterday, so it was just me and my daughter. I hope he is back today.

Can't wait to see your finished shed, and looking forward to pool pics!

Cheers,

nelson411 said:
You two have done a great job on that shed! :goodjob:

I love the tile and the design. What kind of tile is that? :)

We are still digging roots, and hopefully will have more out today. Hubby was out sick yesterday, so it was just me and my daughter. I hope he is back today.

Can't wait to see your finished shed, and looking forward to pool pics!

Cheers,

Hey Liz,

Thanks, after the shed I am starting to wonder if we have enough left to even put the pool up, lol.

We just came in to cool, "Finally" got the roof on, wow what a PITA, I am sooooooooo glad our buddy was able to come down and help, not sure we could have done it all by ourselves.

Still have to get the doors put together and hung, and finish the floor, (grouting), thinking about "Maybe" going back out in a couple of hours and get the doors done, guess it all depends on if I fall asleep first or not, lol.

The tiles are ceramic, we didn't do too bad with them, only broke 1 of each color, lol.

Wishing you well on the roots, I have faith you will prevail!

Hope hubby gets to feeling better soon, always harder when all the help is out sick, especially if it is the bigger help, lol.

Well enough for now, might make another post later on if we get the doors done, and I feel up to taking the camera out to snap a few shots, lol.

Cheers

P.S. Liz, will answer the PM later tonight or maybe to tomorrow.

Hope you all had a Wonderful Saturday!

We had a HOTTTTTTTTTTT and humid day here but still managed to get the shed completely assembled, YEAAAAA!

Shipping box is all gone, (already burned in the fire pit), most of the tools have been moved inside for now, (until we finish the floor).
0623121927.jpg

Got most of the scattered junk picked up, (Looks "almost" like humans live here now!).
0623121930.jpg

Still have to move 3 bags of concrete down to the barn, fold and roll the big white tarp, (one of 3 from our trucking days), move all the concrete blocks back to their storage area, pull all the stakes we used to anchor the canopy, and adjust the shed doors, (they are touching at the top but a small gap at the bottom).
0623121928a.jpg

Next on the list is the floor, then running power, installing some lights, and outlets, then get the furnace moved, and get the ducting ran from the shed to the house, (not looking forward to this part).

At this point it is highly doubtful we will get our pool before next spring, (still hoping to maybe at least get it bought this fall, crossing fingers), so we need to turn our attention to getting the furnace setup and ready to use, (not going to worry about wood until it cools off ALLOT), but having the furnace working for this coming winter will free up allot of $$$ to use for other things, (pool stuff, grins).

Depending on how everything goes I guess we will get some more work done on the site itself, really wanting to get everything all done and ready so early next spring we can set the pool and have it ready when it gets warm enough.

Anyway, I know everyone is much more interested in pools here than a stupid shed and the other things I babble on about, lol, but in the end for us anyway it is all pretty much tied together, so enjoy the boring pics we have right now and I promise in time I WILL be posting actual Pools pics! :whoot: (Unless all this work kills me first).

Oh BTW, Thank God for the spell checker, my blonde fingers get the best of me at times, (and NO the blonde keyboard didn't help, lol).

Here's to a great end to a great start to this weekend, Please Be Safe and ENJOY! :cheers:

P.S. I am going to stay inside and babysit the AC tomorrow. :lol:

Hope everyone had a good Monday to get the work week off to a good start!

Just a short update, we didn't get much done today, (although it feels like I worked my backside off, lol), was up at 7am, and had already worked up a sweat by 8am.

Had to dig out an empty gas cylinder for our mig-welder and take it to town, that got us off to a late start here.

By the time we got home and got started it was already HOTTT and muggy, but we managed to get some things cleaned up and put away, got all the tarps folded, rolled and stored, moved the 4 bags of concrete under the house out of the weather, moved all the concrete blocks back where they belong, got the shed doors all aligned, yea, looks good now.

Moved the table saw up from the barn, now have it all setup and ready to work, going to take the deck apart that can be seen in some of the pics, (down by the tree line), and use the boards to build a porch floor in front of the shed, (would hate having to trudge thru the mud everytime we want to enter the shed).

Have a doctor's appt tomorrow, so that is going to eat up the best forecast day of the week, (foreseeable future actually), but we are planning to work late tomorrow evening and try to finish the floor, then while that sets up will work on the porch, then chalking all the cracks and gaps around the shed, (wanting to keep some of the bugs out), has anyone ever tried to use weather stripping to seal the door on a shed like this one?

Also going to check on a new sub-panel on the way home tomorrow, seriously going to need power out there ASAP.

OK so maybe it wasn't such a short update, lol.

Hope everyone has a Safe and Wonderful week ahead. :cheers:

Well we are on the downhill side of this week, weekend will be here before ya know it! :whoot:

Just a short update, once again nothing exciting.

We have switched to the night shift to avoid the extremely high temps here, and the worst is yet to come, they are forecasting 105 here just for today, and have issued a heat advisory until Sunday, wow they just updated to 106, and a good chance of Extreme Heat Warning, supposed to be over 100 thru Monday and then cool down to 98 by Tuesday.

So far we have managed to make some progress, we hung a light in the shed, one on the outside, and the back porch light on and have managed to get the shed floor done except for sealing the grout lines.

I was going to snap a couple of pics, but I still have to sweep, and mop the floor, but won't do that for a couple of days, want to give everything plenty of time to dry, plus right now there is everything "Except" a pool sitting on the main site, uggggggs.

We are planning to tear the old deck pieces aparts that can be seen in most of the other pics tonight, (if we can get enough light out there to see what we are doing), we are going to re-purpose the lumber for a "porch" for the front of the shed, hopefully that will give us something better than tracking dirt and mud into the shed all the time.

Going to pick up a dozen tubes of Silicone chalking this weekend and try to close up all the holes around the top and bottom of the walls to hopefully keep some of the bugs and other critters out.

Anyone ever managed to use weather stripping around the doors on a shed like this?

We might work on running power, and see what it will take to build the workbench if we can't see to work with the decking.

Well enough for now, gonna get a nice hot bath and some much needed sleep.

Hope Everyone has a Wonderful Day! :cheers:

Happy Independence Day! :party:

It has been a few days since I added anything here, so since I am wide awake instead of in dreamland where I belong I thought I would post a quick update.

Still nothing exciting, progress is extremely slow, between the heat and money, (lack of, lol), sometimes I wonder if we will ever get done.

Has anyone else noticed how expensive everything is these days?

Seems like there is always too much month left at the end of the paycheck!

Anyway I took a couple of pics a few days ago, (well it was at night actually), we had been working while it was cooler at night, but had to switch back to daytime hours because of a Doctor appt yesterday, (whole day shot for that).

So here are the pics I took of the shed floor since we got it done. Still some grout lines not dry yet.
0629122355.jpg

We ended up with a 4" wide area along both sides where we would have had to cut tile but didn't want to mess with it so we just filled them in with mortar, I think they actually turned out pretty good.
0629122356.jpg

0629122355a.jpg

0629122356b.jpg

0629122356a.jpg

We managed to round up some scraps to build a work bench along one side. Still need a nice straight 2x4 for the facer along the front.
0630120346.jpg

The other half just couldn't resist piling it full, (he said we needed to test it out and make sure it would hold up!..UGGGGGGGGS), Guess who is going to get to clean it up?

Day before yesterday we finally got the wood furnace moved out of the barn, it is sitting down at the end of the house, when we started moving it we found out the lower right front corner has some rusted out space so we will have to remove the side panel and find out how bad it is and what it will take to fix it, ( I told the other half I wanted it repaired and cleaned BEFORE it goes in the shed, lol).

We did stop on the way home yesterday and picked up some parts to run power to the shed, we already got the 4' fluorescent light hung, but have been running a long extension cord to run it, (royal pain trying to switch everything around to have light, run a saw, drill ect, then having to unplug and roll up the cord if it looks like rain).

Anyway I think we have enough stuff to keep us busy for a few more days, lol.

Our Prayers go out to all those hit by all the bad weather across the country, and we hope with all our heart that everyone is safe and that they restore power to those suffering in the high heat, and get all the fires under control out west, God's Speed to you all!

Everyone Please have a Safe and Fun Holiday today!

Enjoy :cheers:

Hope everyone had a fun holiday yesterday!

Well we are staying indoors today, this is the 8th day in a row now with record breaking high temps, all 100+, and NO rain to speak of, they are saying 3 more to go before we get a break.

Having COPD, (allergy, asthma related), makes working in this kind of weather extremely hard, we have been pushing it, but finally thought it better to take a day off and let our bodies recover some.

God I wish we had our pool done, the air conditioner is running non-stop from 9am until almost 9pm, the power company is going to love us this month. :grrrr:

We took the cabinet off the wood furnace yesterday to check how bad the rust is along the bottom of one side, turns out the rust was a good thing, we found where the long seams along both sides of the firebox where they welded it together have separated, only a short section on the left side but the full length on the right side.

Not knowing this could have resulted in a dangerous situation!

Since we had the extra power meter pulled from the barn, (the power company started charging $25.00/month for each meter regardless of how much power we use), and since all we had running on a regular basis down there was the well, (average cost for power used was $3.00 + the $25.00), we moved the pressure tank and controls up to the house, but now had to also move the plug for the welder up here too, (still need to move the air compressor, but that will require building a shelter for it), got that done yesterday, now have to get a bigger cart for the welders and torch so we can move it back and forth from the barn to the house when we need them.

Anyway, repairing the furnace shouldn't be a big deal if we can figure out how to lay it down so we can turn it where we need in order to cut, grind, and weld the bad spots.

I guess we will end up sandblasting the whole thing and repainting with high heat flat black before we put the cabinet back on, this should make it good for another 20 years, lol.

Ya know in a way I suppose it might be a good thing we don't have the pool done yet, it could be a major distraction to all the other work we need to get done, sighs, although I would LOVE to be posting pics and talking about our pool versus all this other stuff I have been posting about...

Anyway, for those unfortunate to have to go back to work after the holiday, the up side is 1 more day and then the weekend! :whoot: :party:

Please, Be Safe, & Stay Cool!

God's Speed to all still without power in this miserable heat, Know You are in Our Prayers!

Well the weatherman is forecasting an end to the heat wave here for awhile, and supposed to get some rain for the next few days, (time will tell).

We are hoping and praying that everyone is going to get some relief from the excessive heat as well.

We haven't heard anything on the news, so we are also praying that all the power is back on for everyone, there have been far too many heat related deaths so far this year and we are just getting started!

I am hoping we can get back out and get some work done now, crossing fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes, is there anything else I should cross?

Hope you all have a Great Day tomorrow.

Cheers :cheers:

Hope everyone had a good start to the work week, (if there is such a thing, giggles), and enjoyed an even better weekend!

Well we finally got "some" rain yesterday, and despite promises and the looming black clouds all day today nothing, what little rain we got yesterday was all dried up by 10 am this morning, sighs.

On the bright side it didn't even hit 90 today, and the clouds kept the sun from beating down on the roof, so the AC got a big break finally, (electric meter too, YEAAAAAAAAA).

Now we are faced with a new issue, after hiding from the high heat most of last week, and then the pending rain all weekend, and the little bit we got yesterday, how do we get motivated again?

Why is it so hard to get back in the grove after staying inside for a week where it is cooler? :whip:

Please be safe and make the best of the work week ahead.

Cheers :cheers:

Glad someone got some rain, moved 3 yards of sand yesterday so it wouldn't get wetter than it already is. We had a 70% or thunderstorms and never even had a storm cloud come anywhere near us.

Oh well at least the grass won't grow:)

as far as motivation - get out early in the morning, the closer the outside temp is to your inside temp the easier it is :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.