Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good Deal for chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Small midwest town In illinois

Good Deal for chlorine?

My local pool store sells Liquid chlorine in a 4 pack of (128 oz bottles) @ 12.5% chlorine. (labeled as pool shock) For 13.99. My Walmart sells 182 oz bottles at 6% 2.98 per gallon.

Debating if it is more convenient to go this route then loading up on Walmart bleach? Opinions?

Also, I am still learning, if I am adding water to my pool (like this evening, darn kids, lol) Will it affect my test numbers? Esp. thinking CYA?

Sorry that I ask a lot of questions, but I want to get this done right this year. I have a boy going to be a senior in HS, and a boy going to be in 8th grade. Can you see the pool parties in my future this summer?
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover and solar heater panel.
    Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Cartridge Filter (CCX 1500RE)
    2 HP Hayward Powerflo LX Pump
    Pool and solar heater get full sun, when its shinning daily!!
    Using test kit: Taylor K-2006
    Successful BBB user.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Good Deal for chlorine?

A four pack of 1 gallon 12.5% is equivalent to 8 gallons of 6%, or about $1.75 per gallon of 6%. That is a better price that the WalMart bleach, and half as much to carry.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School