Sequestering Agent Estimating versus Test Kits

tlhwxman

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2012
All,

Need some advise from experienced folks out there. I am trying a sequestering agent for the first time. I plan on using Jack's Metal Control (purple). Yes, I am following proper AA procedures ;) Furthermore, I understand that proper dosing of agent is dependant on my situation.

• 1) Does anyone out there just estimate the amount of agent needed (initial and maintenance doses) from the guidelines on the bottle without using a Kit to maintain an exact level?

2) If yes to # 1 - How do you estimate? Trial and Error, recommended amounts etc...

3) If I just estimate the amount, what are some of the possible repercussions?? What if too much agent is put in? etc...

Really trying to gauge if the sequestering test kit is worth the expense. If I can estimate the amount of agent with little down side and it works well then why not

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance
Todd

Jack's products list a startup dose and a maintenance dose. From what I understand those dosages are assuming your have 1.0 ppm of metals in the water or less. So if you know your metals level you can guess at your dosage. Otherwise, it is trial and error.

Thanks Jason. I have few follow up questions for you (or anyone for that matter).

I have been reading like crazy on this subject. It appears that iron staining can be a problem starting at 0.3ppm. I am currently in the middle of an AA treatment. I put in just above the recommended dose of Jack's purple (which assumes 1ppm as you state). and the stains are returning. I need more. Going that route tomorrow morning. But, I have a question.

1) What is the typical range of iron concentrations in pools that have an iron problem? In other words, I am trying to find out what an extreme value could be. I have seen posts on this forum stating 6ppm! Does anyone have something that beats that?

What I am really getting at here is that I want to know when to "call off" the sequestering agent dosing. I am concerned about how much I can actually put into the pool and have it remain safe. For example, if I am treating for 6ppm of iron that equates to nearly 12 bottles of Jack's purple!!

2) Anyone have an opinion on how much agent is safe??

Thanks as always folks!
Todd

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.