A few ?? about: skimmer, testing water, underlay insulation

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
I just bought our pool! :party:
Ground is prepped. :party:
Equipment at the ready! :whoot:
Grandkids waiting in the wings. :blah: (nag, nag, nag)

My questions are:

1) thru the wall skimmer – where best to place this jewel? I don't mean height, I mean in relation to the intake (to the pump) and the return (back into pool). To which side of the original intake? It seems that if I put it between the original intake and the return that that would be too close together for proper circulation. Like they would work against each other.

2) What do you do with the original intake?

3) I've read on here to have the pool water between half full and just below point of install before installing the skimmer so that the wall is taut. Is this the general consensus?

4) I have the TF100. Should I take preliminary readings from the hose? Or should I wait until the pool is full to take that first test? I'm not sure if the huge surface area would affect the results so much, so quickly. I figured the chlorine would change from hose to pool because of the sunlight exposure during the fill time. But by enough to make a huge difference in what ever the pool calculator is going to tell me for that initial chlorine run to the store? Also, I'm excited to have the kit and want to play!

5) And this is a big one! I am coming up with 23 sheets of 4' x 8' insulation for a 28' diameter circle. I figured on 28' so I'd have a buffer zone around the 26' pool. Any math whizzes out there that are willing to double check my figure? I drew it all out on graph paper and I was somewhat amazed that it'd take that many. For once I'm hoping that I'm wrong about something. Tho sadly, I'm pretty sure it's accurate. This stuff is expensive in bulk!

Thanks folks,
Angie

Re: A few ?? about: skimmer, testing water, underlay insulat

Should I take preliminary readings from the hose? Or should I wait until the pool is full to take that first test?
Either way is fine. Don't test for CYA or FC as you will have none at first (but please get some in right away.)

If your wind is predominantly from the West.............you'll be better off if you can place the skimmer as far to the East side of the pool as possible. My skimmer and return jet are about 3 feet apart. Jet is pointed away from the skimmer to circulate around the long way back to it. Sometimes I change it just to watch the dirt pattern change!

The area of a cirlce is Pi times radius times radius
The radius is 1/2 the diameter:
28 feet diameter divided by 2 = 14 feet radius
so..
Pi or 3.14 times 14 times 14 = 615.44 square feet
A sheet of 4x8 insulation is 32 square feet
615.44 divided by 32 = 19.23

If this math is correct you could put together a 28 foot circle with only 20 sheets of insulation. That's if you could cut the sheets in such a way that you only waste 3/4 of a sheet.

Here is the layout I am planning to use for my foam underlayment, I think you could do pretty much the same thing, only use a few more sheets, like you I am planning a small buffer around the outside of the pool itself.

Foam_Layout_6-O.jpg

Also, don't forget to use concrete pavers under the support legs, just to be safe that something doesn't settle and cause issues down the road.

I am going to setup the top frame of my pool on top of the foam, apply light pressure to mark the foam, then move the framework, and cut holes for the pavers, sinking them to level with the top of the foam, (people have said they place the legs right on the foam but I don't like that idea myself).

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the responses. A lot to chew over. I had figured the area of the circle but to tell the truth I've turned this thing every which way but loose and I think I fried my brain. I'm going to sleep tonite and hope a few brain cells regenerate. To get it to work with only 20 sheets without wasting more than 3/4 sheet would be a wonderful challenge. Maybe tomorrow. I like a good puzzle or brain teaser as good as the next girl. Dang, now I'm going to have to work on it before I can sleep or it'll keep me awake.

Thanks again,

Samantha, your diagram is great! I've got a couple of programs that should do one similar. If I can remember how to use them, I'm going to give it a try and see if I can get the 20 sheets to work out. I'm told that the number of uprights corresponds to the number of feet in diameter. My 26' pool has 26 legs to stand on. I am going to pick up the pavers for under them. Figured that into the budget right off the bat.

woodyp, I hadn't thought of the wind affecting the skimmer. Thank you.

Taterfink,

I just made you a layout for a 28' x 28' square.

This would require 24.5 sheets.

I added the pool area to give you a better idea how it will look. :goodjob:
[attachment=0:3pocxpgt]28x28_Foam_Pool_Layout-O.jpg[/attachment:3pocxpgt]

I don't see much way to get by any less if you want some buffer.

This will give you 1' on 4 sides and more in the corners.

That is how we are doing ours so we have the foam all the way around under the ground cloth, will make it much nicer for walking around the pool for cleaning and such, plus an area in the corner for the ladder and a place to kick off the shoes.

If you need to try and get it down some send me your idea and I will see if there is a way to reduce the number of sheets with minimal waste, (CAD programs are nice).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 28x28_Foam_Pool_Layout-O.jpg
    28x28_Foam_Pool_Layout-O.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 379

Thank you all for the diagrams. I really do appreciate your effort and concern. I went old school . . . yep, graph paper, a compass and a ruler! Here's how I came up with 23 sheets of insulation. I have several programs that would do this but, truly it's been so long since I've used them, I'd need time to refresh my memory. I have programs for digitizing embroidery designs, for the Cricut machines, Google Sketchup 8, to name a few. But, like I said, it's been a while. So I've resorted to a pencil and paper. Go figure!

I staggered the horizontal seams thinking this would help it maintain integrity (at least in one direction). I'm now waiting on a huge tarp to arrive (30' x 60'). I plan to lay down the tarp, then the insulation, then fold the tarp over top of the insulation. Like an insulation taco? I will of course have the step stones under each of the legs. If I do this just right, I should wind up with a 4' to 6' extension with one layer of tarp that I can use for underlay for step stones on the one side to put the ladder and chairs on. Kind of like a step stone patioish area to help keep the pool a little cleaner. Not as wonderful as a deck would be but, it will work for the interim.

Oh, the inner circle is the 26' pool. The outer circle is the 28' area to be covered by the insulation. Thus giving me approx. 1' buffer for good looks and outer pool hygiene.

[attachment=0:1gj38miz]graph2.jpg[/attachment:1gj38miz]

Attachments

• graph2.jpg
    graph2.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 357

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Does anyone have this layout for a 20' Intex? I'm putting mine up next month and want to do the foam underneath, but not sure how to figure out how many sheets I'll need and how to cut it to minimize waste.

Well you could draw it out on graph paper like I did or print out the picture of mine. Then count out 10 squares in each direction from my center point.

Here's a 20' laid out with 4'x8' foam. each small section is a half a sheet. Probably want to buy a couple of extra sheets just to be safe.

[attachment=0:a2ndxuzl]20' Intex Foam Placement.jpg[/attachment:a2ndxuzl]

Attachments

• 20\' Intex Foam Placement.jpg
    20\' Intex Foam Placement.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 270
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.