Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does my Diving Board need to be replaced?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does my Diving Board need to be replaced?

Hello All!
    We are newbies! We have a diving pool with what appears to be a very old diving board. It feels in great shape and handles the 'big boys' very well...but, we saw a couple of cracks on the underneath side of the board. (We would have never noticed...just happened to look). They are on the back end of the board....the end that is 'screwed' down...not the part you jump on. Anyhow, the cracks just seem to be on a the single layer and don't appear to be growing.
    Do we need to bite the bullet and replace the board or are we okay?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Ynothd, McDaniels, Ky. 40152, pool 15'x42", 4000 gal, filter system SFS1000, pump type F1000C, gph flow 1075, cheap "inteck" type w/metal ring at top and side legs vinyl above ground pool "walmart special" my first pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does my Diving Board need to be replaced?

Your description COULD be just cracks in the gel coat, but it's hard to diagnose something like that without seeing it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Good point, JohnT

I've attached pics of the underneath side of our board. I welcome your feedback.

Thanks again! [attachment=0:ehs9ktbn]IMAG1111.jpg[/attachment:ehs9ktbn][attachment=1:ehs9ktbn]IMAG1110.jpg[/attachment:ehs9ktbn]
    Liz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ynothd, McDaniels, Ky. 40152, pool 15'x42", 4000 gal, filter system SFS1000, pump type F1000C, gph flow 1075, cheap "inteck" type w/metal ring at top and side legs vinyl above ground pool "walmart special" my first pool

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks like it needs to be replaced to me. The last thing you would want is have someone injured from a board that you knew was damaged to begin with. Those are not just cracks in the gel coat.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process