Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWCG and Rust

1. Back To Top    #1

SWCG and Rust

We've had our pool up and running for about 2months and I'm beginning to see signs of rust on my Hayward skimmer mouth screws as well as on the pool ladder where the treads attach to the verticle rods. I'm wondering 2 things: Is this normal? Do pool hardware companies design separate freshwater and saltwater kits? If so, I'm wondering if I got a freshwater version by mistake. The pipes on the ladder look like stainless steel but marine grade stainless shouldn't rust and definitely not in 2months. Most of the oxidation is occuring near the waterline. Screws below the water's surface look a bit better. Pool balance has been spot on the entire time. PH between 7.4 - 7.8, FC at 5.5.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: SWCG and Rust

I have screws rust out on outdoor stuff fairly often. Apparently, the manufacturer (I've had it happen on pool-unrelated items) just doesn't have enough quality control to provide the correct screws or perhaps when they cut the threads, the screw removes the rust proof material....I don't know.

I shrug my shoulders and go to Ace or HD and get Stainless steel screws and replace them all.....it's a real PITA
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It is just the manufacturer trying to save a buck by using inferior materials. Replace them with true stainless steel and you won't have any more problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll look up the Hayward part numbers for the screws later tonight. It shouldn't be too difficult to find some suitable SS replacements. A quick search returned these in 316 marine grade stainless @ $0.15 each.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just wanted to make sure the rusting wasn't an indicator of something I was doing wrong. It's a shame that this problem could've been avoided from the factory for less that $1.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED