Regular PVC ball valve vs. Jandy or Pentair valves

I'm not trying to be cheap .....but is there a big difference between one of the "pool" brand valves like a Jandy NeverLube 2 port valve and say a regular PVC ball valve from Lowes? I need four 2" valves and the Jandy NeverLube are $53 a piece compared to $14.

Inground gunite
19,000 gallons
Pentair Triton II TR100
Pentair Intelliflo 3HP pump

I went with the ball valves from HD and regret it. I have 8 of them if I only had 4-5 I would upgrade. With a 3 hp pump you will probably get air on the suction side with the ball valves. I get some with my pump through those valves with vacuuming. Just my

Reactions: IanL
Yes there is. The pool valves are much smoother to turn, are full pipe diameter while the ball valves are generally reduced diameter, and the pool valves can usually be disassembled for repair.

I love the price of the ball valves, but they do tighten up over time. Also, with the three way jandy style valves, you end up needing fewer. With that said, every time I think about replacing my ball valves that control flow to my solar panels, the cost makes me happy with what I have. I'm too cheap :hammer:

I have 10 Jandy valves and 2 ball valves in my system. The first time I tried to turn a ball valve off the handle broke.

Hunt around, you can find Jandy valves or less than $40 each online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.