Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Regular PVC ball valve vs. Jandy or Pentair valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Charleston, South Carolina

Regular PVC ball valve vs. Jandy or Pentair valves

I'm not trying to be cheap .....but is there a big difference between one of the "pool" brand valves like a Jandy NeverLube 2 port valve and say a regular PVC ball valve from Lowes? I need four 2" valves and the Jandy NeverLube are $53 a piece compared to $14.

Inground gunite
    19,000 gallons
    Pentair Triton II TR100
    Pentair Intelliflo 3HP pump
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

I went with the ball valves from HD and regret it. I have 8 of them if I only had 4-5 I would upgrade. With a 3 hp pump you will probably get air on the suction side with the ball valves. I get some with my pump through those valves with vacuuming. Just my
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: Regular PVC ball valve vs. Jandy or Pentair valves

Yes there is. The pool valves are much smoother to turn, are full pipe diameter while the ball valves are generally reduced diameter, and the pool valves can usually be disassembled for repair.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Guess you know what my vote is. I turn them just for fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20x47' double roman vinyl liner pool. Pentair EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40, 011018 Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Filter CCP420, Pentair 120V IntelliBrite LED, Cleardeck indeck solar reel, 530 sq' solar system Polaris 9300xi robot, Interfab Turbotwister slide, S.R. Smith T7 diving board, deck jets vinyl-liner-pool-build-in-ontario-canada-new-pictures-t30213.html

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

I love the price of the ball valves, but they do tighten up over time. Also, with the three way jandy style valves, you end up needing fewer. With that said, every time I think about replacing my ball valves that control flow to my solar panels, the cost makes me happy with what I have. I'm too cheap
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have 10 Jandy valves and 2 ball valves in my system. The first time I tried to turn a ball valve off the handle broke.

Hunt around, you can find Jandy valves or less than $40 each online.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit