Antifreeze (or something from the sky?) causing film on pool

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Hello everyone!

I've been BBB since I became a pool owner, and I open my own pool, but have the pool store close it down. I used a new pool store for the closing last year, and they seemed to add more antifreeze than usual. I thought nothing of it at the time. However, I just learned that I was supposed to backwash right after opening (never did this before, either) ... and now I think I have LOTS of antifreeze in my pool. There's a clear film in the skimmer, and whenever it rains, the dirt seems to be suspended in the water instead of settling to the bottom.

Assuming that it's antifreeze, how do I get rid of it without adding another chemical that will upset my pool?

(I'm blaming the antifreeze because this never happened last year -- the dirt would just settle to the bottom then. There's always the possibility that something strange is dropping from the sky with the rain -- I'm in farm country, and the farmers put all kinds of stuff on their fields around here.)

Re: Antifreeze (or something from the sky?) causing film on

The oily film on the water is almost certainly organic oils from pollen and other organic debris falling on the pool. There can be a lot more some years and way less other years. You will also see it more often if your FC level is on the low side, as chlorine breaks the oil down eventually.

As long as they used the correct kind of anti-freeze, and I am sure they did, there is no problem with the anti-freeze getting into the pool. It is impossible to keep it all out of the pool anyway. A little more than usual won't be a problem, or even detectable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.