New B with light green pool. Help!

Jan 23, 2012
Minnesota
Ok so I have been reading and reading and now am so confused. We have had rain none stop for two days right after we set it up and now I went to uncover our pool and it is a light shade of green it has 115 pounds of salt in it ran the filter for 24 hours and now running The salt water system. Now what??? Thank you so much for any and all help.
Sarah

I'd dump two gallons of 6% bleach in it right now before it gets away from you! Too close to the Holiday. See the recommended levels for your pool WITH SWG in pool school. Have you added ANY CYA yet?? 70-80 ppm needed for your pool to KEEP any chlorine in it.

What I did is turn the filter back on and on manual and then the salt system for 4 hours. Its much much better but still a slight hint of very light green, the salt water system says 93 and is in sleep mode I want to get the salt water system to turn back on but cant find in the manual how to get it out of sleep mode. I haven't tested the water yet because of no test strips (that should of came with pool), sooo I will go buy some at the pool store or walmart if I'm lucky. What test strips do I need to get? What is CYA don't remember reading anything about that, but I have read so many things I could of easily forgotten. THANK YOU so much for all your help.

If I recall you are using private well water?

Is the light green clouding the pool or just tinting the water? If it is just a tint, then I bet it is metals. Since it has been getting better, you may be lucky like I am, and your filter is able to take care of it.

Sarahrip said:
the salt water system says 93 and is in sleep mode I want to get the salt water system to turn back on but cant find in the manual how to get it out of sleep mode.
Turn it off then back on again, then it should start up.

Sarahrip said:
What test strips do I need to get?
None of them. You need a good drop based test kit that includes a FAS-DPD FC test...see the link in my sig.

Sarahrip said:
What is CYA don't remember reading anything about that
CYA is cyanuric acid, aka stabalizer, conditioner. Up to a point, it is sunscreen for you chlorine. Remember, poolschool is your friend.

Sarahrip said:
Yes well, just tinting it. I sure hope so time, will tell :)
Okay, lets hope that is it. Since you do not have a FAS-DPD FC test, do you have one of those Chorine/ph drop based tests? You can get them from most hardware, bigbox, walmart stores. That can at least let you do an approximate Overnight Chlorine loss test (see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test) to see if your pool has organics. The strips are so unreliable...in fact sometimes outright misleading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.