Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New B with light green pool. Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

New B with light green pool. Help!

Ok so I have been reading and reading and now am so confused. We have had rain none stop for two days right after we set it up and now I went to uncover our pool and it is a light shade of green it has 115 pounds of salt in it ran the filter for 24 hours and now running The salt water system. Now what??? Thank you so much for any and all help.
    Sarah
    Above Ground Intex 18'X9'X54" Ultra frame rectangular Pool. Intex filter pump, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System. Solar Pool Cover.Eco Saver 20-Foot Solar Heating Panel System.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New B with light green pool. Help!

Don't get discouraged. Please post a full set of test numbers. That's the only way we'll know how to help.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd dump two gallons of 6% bleach in it right now before it gets away from you! Too close to the Holiday. See the recommended levels for your pool WITH SWG in pool school. Have you added ANY CYA yet?? 70-80 ppm needed for your pool to KEEP any chlorine in it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

What I did is turn the filter back on and on manual and then the salt system for 4 hours. Its much much better but still a slight hint of very light green, the salt water system says 93 and is in sleep mode I want to get the salt water system to turn back on but cant find in the manual how to get it out of sleep mode. I haven't tested the water yet because of no test strips (that should of came with pool), sooo I will go buy some at the pool store or walmart if I'm lucky. What test strips do I need to get? What is CYA don't remember reading anything about that, but I have read so many things I could of easily forgotten. THANK YOU so much for all your help.
    Above Ground Intex 18'X9'X54" Ultra frame rectangular Pool. Intex filter pump, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System. Solar Pool Cover.Eco Saver 20-Foot Solar Heating Panel System.

5. Back To Top    #5

My numbers two hours after adding stabilizer

Ph 7.8
    Ppm free chlorine 0
    Ppm alkalinity 240
    Stabilizer 30-40
    What do I need to do?

6. Back To Top    #6

If I recall you are using private well water?

Is the light green clouding the pool or just tinting the water? If it is just a tint, then I bet it is metals. Since it has been getting better, you may be lucky like I am, and your filter is able to take care of it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes well, just tinting it. I sure hope so time, will tell

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahrip
    the salt water system says 93 and is in sleep mode I want to get the salt water system to turn back on but cant find in the manual how to get it out of sleep mode.
    Turn it off then back on again, then it should start up.

What test strips do I need to get?
    None of them. You need a good drop based test kit that includes a FAS-DPD FC test...see the link in my sig.

What is CYA don't remember reading anything about that
    CYA is cyanuric acid, aka stabalizer, conditioner. Up to a point, it is sunscreen for you chlorine. Remember, poolschool is your friend.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes well, just tinting it. I sure hope so time, will tell
    Okay, lets hope that is it. Since you do not have a FAS-DPD FC test, do you have one of those Chorine/ph drop based tests? You can get them from most hardware, bigbox, walmart stores. That can at least let you do an approximate Overnight Chlorine loss test (see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test) to see if your pool has organics. The strips are so unreliable...in fact sometimes outright misleading.

10. Back To Top    #10

Doing the happy dance after adding the CYA and getting it all to dissolve (which wasn't so fun) the pool Is Krystal clear THANK YOU! I will be buying more testing items very soon.