Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid

I have a sand filter and was told to clean the sand by putting the filter on backwash and pouring Muriatic Acid into the skimmer. Is this true? If so, how much muriatic acid? Also, my water is very clear however the sand is probably about 4to5 years old.
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid

Do not pour acid into your skimmer!

The only time you should use MA is for lowering the pH in your pool or for cleaning your salt cell, if you have one. You add MA to the pool by pouring slowly near an inlet.

Why do you think you need to clean the sand? I've never done anything on mine but backflush, although I have heard of some using a cleaner to get rid of sunscreen/tanning oil/that sort of thing. There is a cleaner specifically for that, but it's not MA.

Your sand is actually around 4 billion years old. Don't let the pool store talk you into buying new sand.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Definitely no need for the MA. A filter cleaner or "degreaser" as it is sometimes called may help clean the sand a bit. Just make sure you are using the correct backwash procedure.

I've seen filter sand that's been used for 8 years and still filtering just fine. If you are worried that much you can shut off the pump, release the pressure from the filter and open the top to skim anything that might be stuck, make sure to replace any lost sand.
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I put in a new filter last year, the sand in mine was installed around 1990 and still worked fine. The only reason I changed it was because I put in a new sand filter.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments!! I truely love this site and the quick responses that never fail !! Great job to everyone envolved!!!!!

I will not use the acid and since my water is perfectly clear and all test readings are perfect, I'm leaving everything as is!!! As they say " if it's not broken, don't fix it "

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bbecky75
    Thanks for everyone's advice and comments!! I truely love this site and the quick responses that never fail !! Great job to everyone envolved!!!!!

I will not use the acid and since my water is perfectly clear and all test readings are perfect, I'm leaving everything as is!!! As they say " if it's not broken, don't fix it "

opps, typo.. should be "involved"

7. Back To Top    #7

I ran the same sand from 1970 to 2003 (Lomart Stainless Steel Filter) on a 40K gal pool. Pool was crystal clear all 30+ years. I have never bought into the new sand idea.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I have never bought into the new sand idea.
    Me neither!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School