Weird Colored Water - Seafoam Green

May 18, 2012
Greensboro NC
Hi all...

For some brief history:
I went through an entire shock process to get rid of bad algae last weekend, 5/18 - 5/21, which left the water cloudy. I have been running the filter 24/7 for a week now with VERY slow improvement in water clarity. I believe this is due to the inadequate Intex pump/filter that came with my pool. The water was blue, but cloudy. I figure the blue color was coming from the pool liner/sky.

I did not balance my pH/TA before the shock, after the shock my pH was too low to read, and my TA was 0. Over the past few days I have added Borax, AquaChem pH Up, and Baking soda.

That has left me here: 9PM 5/24/2012
pH = 7.2
TA = 140
FC = 10.5
CC = 0
CYA = 75
CH = 50

That FC reading was last night at 9:00PM, my previous reading from 7:00am yesterday was 11.5, so my FC loss during the day was 1.5ppm and 0CC So I don't think I have am activly fighting a lot of organic matter.

I have not added anything to the pool since Wednesday night (5/23) pH up + baking soda.

I noticed yesterday/today that the pool appears to have changed color, from blue, to what I can only describe as seafoam green.

My water has changed colors and shades of color for the past 3 weeks. Green, dark green, light green, whiteish green, light blue and now I can see the bottom but water is still not clear.

It just takes TIME for the filter to do it's job when the water gets out of balance. I keep thinking it's taking way too long to get clear, but the pump and filter are in fact working properly and as it filters, the colors change.

I remember that last year the water changed colors and then BOOM, the water was sparkling clear.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am taking care of this pool, but it is my in-laws. I wish they would/could get a bigger better pump/filter, because I believe a filter with more surface area would have taken care of this a long time ago.

I was just worried that going to green might mean more algae, eventhough my test results suggest otherwise, I also wasn't sure if it could be metals or something like that.

Thanks again.

Fancypants said:
Hi all...

For some brief history:
I went through an entire shock process to get rid of bad algae last weekend, 5/18 - 5/21, which left the water cloudy. I have been running the filter 24/7 for a week now with VERY slow improvement in water clarity. I believe this is due to the inadequate Intex pump/filter that came with my pool. The water was blue, but cloudy. I figure the blue color was coming from the pool liner/sky.

If your water was still cloudy, you may not have been finished with the shock process. You need to keep the chlorine levels up until your water is clear, the pool passes the OCLT, and you have CC of 0.5 or less. It looks like the algae wasn't quite dead yet, and it's blooming again. Your picture from earlier in the week looked pretty good, but yesterday's picture definitely requires you to shock.

LasVegasLawyer said:
If your water was still cloudy, you may not have been finished with the shock process. You need to keep the chlorine levels up until your water is clear, the pool passes the OCLT, and you have CC of 0.5 or less. It looks like the algae wasn't quite dead yet, and it's blooming again. Your picture from earlier in the week looked pretty good, but yesterday's picture definitely requires you to shock.

It was my understanding that C.) on the shock list was really there just in case you don't have a test kit possible of testing above 5ppm, like the TF-100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.