Intex is up! No water, grrr..

This was Tuesday, my little one helping Dad. Finally after a week and 3 days, the area is dug....

IMG_20120519_191738.jpg

Wednesday was a trip after work to the store. No pool work being done at the house when you have a 2 hour round trip commute just to get milk and bread.... Pool arrived yesterday, took the day off to receive it. Started laying out foam. Wow, a lot of duct tape. Started with Gorilla tape. Boy is that stuff strong. Ran out and didn't want another 2 hour commute to get more. Ran down to a local place and they had 3M in multiple different strengths. Bought 2 rolls. An hour later I'm using up a roll my wife had. Hour after that, back to the store for 2 more rolls. Used close to 6 rolls of tape. Around lunch time the yard looked like this (gaps showing because it's untrimmed to the hole.) You can see half of the hole from the previous 12 foot pool. Going to be a niceupgrade :whoot: .

IMG_20120524_111224.jpg

Finished the foam with sweat pouring off around 1pm. Took a break, got everything set out and ready for laying out the pool. I think it was 3 pm and we have this:

IMG_20120524_172453.jpg

We are doing this :party: :party: :party: :party: , then I call the water company. 6000 gallons for $280, can be delivered Wednesday. Now we are all like this :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr: . I expected as much, it's Memorial Day weekend coming and it's suppose to be in the 90's. I have some water in the pool, about an inch or 2 to smooth out the wrinkles. All wrinkles are smoothed except for about 4 feet near the porch.

Haven't had rain forever. We can see rain pass through a few miles south. We can see rain pass through a few miles north. It seems to always be this way for 12 years that we've lived here. We never seem to get the rain unless it is a state wide covering. Scattered thunderstorms all weekend in the forecast, which of course will mean we will watch them pass by in the distance.

They can't come until Tuesday or Wednesday. Of course, the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday is definite rain. Also, extended forecast obviously would be in the 70's along with the rain after Memorial Day when the pool should finally be filled enough to filter.

Ok, if you're still reading, have some simple questions on water testing. Just for S&G's and to show my 11 year old how to test, we ran pH, TA, and CH tests on our well water. Results:

pH - below measurement, guessing about 6.4-6.5. It was yellow.
TA - 10. Is pink red? It turns pink with 1 drop. I am assuming this means red.
CH - 30. It's a vinyl pool, so I am assuming this would be fine.

None of these tests mean anything since we hope not to be filling 10k gallons with our well. It was just to show my daughter how it changes color and such.

I still don't ever see information on why certain levels of the various tests are desirable. I see everywhere that this low of pH would be very undesirable, yet we drink it every day, gallons of it. We cook with it, shower with it, I must have drank a few gallons through the course of the day yesterday working on getting the pool up. I just want to know why I see "you HAVE to get the pH up!" comments. If it is for the easier use of Chlorine and its disinfecting I can see. If it is "dangerous" or something to be swimming in, I am wondering why I've been drinking it for 12 years now, yet it is undesirable to swim in it. I've said it before, we have no filter or anything on our well. We drink right out of the ground and it is delicious! I can't drink the water at my mother's house because, well, it is like.... drinking swimming pool water, LOL.

Well, there's my story. Hope to be swimming soon.

It's not "dangerous" to swim in. Lakes are all over the place with the ph level. Tomato Juice has a ph of around 4, and that's the goto bath for a skunk encounter. Lemon juice has a ph around 2, and I can eat a whole lemon or drink a shot of juice with no ill effect, 'cept maybe for my facial expression. What it is bad for is your equipment (Think corrosion), and most people's eyes are irritated with a ph out of wack. You won't find me throwing lemon juice in my eyes.

It's actually the ph level, not the chlorine level that messes with peoples eyes. I keep my pool around 7.5 and can keep my eyes open all day long, and the 'ole peepers never turn red, or are itchy...

There might be other advanced chemical type reasoning behind the suggested PH level. But I'm not a chemistry major, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Thanks folks for the obvious direction to Pool School, the ABC's of Chemicals is one of the articles that I haven't read yet. Told me what I wanted to know.

Now the water, my wife spent her childhood with a bad well. They were a family of 5 and had to stagger sbowers, her mom would have to wait to do laundry and couldn't run loads back to back or their well would run dry. They had to constantly backwash the filter. My wife is extremely paranoid about our well. I don't think we would have any problems. I think we are on a natural spring that comes out just around the corner down the road. I think the neighbor said he traced it a long time ago with dye.

Thus, I only trickled in yesterday and have a whole 4 inches of water. Well, at least that is something. I did dump some bleach in and swirl it around for a calculated 4ppm chlorine. I'll keep doing that as I put more water in until it maybe rains and the filter can run.

No water? I've got water now!!! :party:

Filled from the well over 3 days, 4 inches deep. Finally picked up a storm on Sunday, doubled my volume in an hour, 8 inches deep.

Been putting bleach in every day just to hope to hold it. Already took Thursday and Friday off to put the pool up, can't take any more time off now. This morning about 8am, they came and dumped 6000 gallons in about 25 minutes. Is it up to the filter? AAAaaarrrrgggg!!! It's halfway covering the intake port, which means I can't filter without air leaks. Now I sit here at work listening to the booming thunderstorms which would easily put me to skimmer level, but I didn't want to leave up a gutter gushing into the pool unattended. Normal day of work is around 6 am or so until 3-3:30. Now I'm stuck here until after 5 and I'm guessing the rain will quit about... 5 pm, LOL.

Well, at least I have a sock full of CYA sitting in the pool hopefully dissolving at least a little bit. Water was chlorinated city water, but I added a bit of bleach and was able to run the filter for a little bit for some circulation before I finally left for work (hose weighted down to suck from midlevel of pool, but leaking some air at the intake port so I couldn't just let the filter run and leave.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.