Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foam on Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam on Pool

I opened my pool last weekend and have a lot of foam. Yesterday I added salt and the foam went nuts. We scooped probably 30 gallons of heavy foam. A lot less today, but it's hanging around.

I used algicide in the fall and March to control algae. None since.
    Shocked pool with liquid bleach. Raised it to safe level. Not sure what "shock level" means.
    Water has gone from green to gray, to a bit cloudy. (cannot see the bottom of the deep end)
    Added borax to bring up PH to about 7.3
    Added CYA to skimmer (shoulda used a sock!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

David
    16 x 32' inground, vinyl, SWG
    david adams
    16 x 32 inground vinyl
    swg
    20,000 gal est

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Foam on Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Shocking Your Pool might help.

Whatever is causing the foam should be eliminated by the chlorine if you maintain shock level as in the link.

It
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I found my chlorine had dropped way down. Raised it back to 4.5 and Calcium and foam is finally gone.
    I did chicken out and go to my local pool stealership to double check my chemistry. He found my calcium to be far to low.
    david adams
    16 x 32 inground vinyl
    swg
    20,000 gal est

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, davida

What is your cya level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Low CH is just fine with a vinyl pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help guys. I think the pool shop just stole 50 bucks from me for the **** calcium.. Told me it would suck the calcium out of my liner. He did print a nice water test to check my chemistry tho.
    My CYA was low; I was thinking that I should add the CYA after clearing the water, as I'm backwashing daily. Now I know to use a sock!
    John T had it right; I shocked it with 6 bags of powder and 5 gallons of bleach, foam cleared completely the next day. I did not anticipate how fast FC would fall
    david adams
    16 x 32 inground vinyl
    swg
    20,000 gal est

7. Back To Top    #7

Follow the instructions in that link JohnT posted. Your are not done with the shocking process until you meet all three criteria it lists (they are also in my sig). Liquid chlorine/bleach is the best way to chlorinate during the process. You will want ~ 30 ppm of cya in the pool to help the process. I would not trust the pool store to get a good number, see my sig for an appropriate test kit to get the job done fast and right.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.