Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Insulation board in Hayward H-250

1. Back To Top    #1

Insulation board in Hayward H-250

I am replacing the Heat Exchanger in the H-250 heater. So far so good and way cheaper than buying a new heater. It appears when I took it out it has been leaking for awhile and I did not realize it. the insulation board that creates a box around it is ruined. Anybody know exactly what this stuff is and where I can get new ones?
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Insulation board in Hayward H-250

That is the refractory. Good luck finding it and replacing. Personally, you would have been better off getting a new heater. I would never recommend to a homeowner to replace the heat exchanger but that's just me. The usual cost of a new heat exchanger could be half the cost of a new unit. Now in your case you have another part that needs to be replaced and I do not know of any place that carries it for that old of a heater. Other parts for it are available for that heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Found a solution and the heater is working beautifully. The pool is a comfy 85 degrees like I like it. Sorry but I just dont have $2000-$3000 to drop on a heater when I can spend $700 on a part. Replacing the heat exchanger was actually the easiest fix Ive done on the pool. A lot easier than finding the suction side air leak that has been plaguing me for years!!!!!
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What was your solution and fix?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,