Filling pool overnight - can I go to sleep?

May 24, 2012
Auburn, AL
Hello everyone,

This is my first "real" post here.

I'm a new pool owner. We just bought this house a few weeks ago and I'm finally getting around to stabilizing the pool water.

The previous owner must have been a fan of Trichlor because the CYA levels were off-scale HIGH on my La Motte ColorQ tester. This is mostly verified by cutting my test water sample by 1/3 pool water and 2/3 tap water. After one partial drain and fill, I am down to 105 ppm CYA.

This is a vinyl in-ground pool, 30,000 gal. and I just added an Intellichlor IC40 SWG. I have a sand filter with the standard Hayward rotating lever valve. I have no diving well main drain, just one skimmer intake. I've drained the pool to about 8 inches below the skimmer line.

My question is, are there any settings I can configure such that I can leave the hose running into the pool overnight and not overflow the pool?

My property is easily 20-30 feet above the street and the waste line runs down to the storm drain underground.
If I open the waste line and leave pumps and SWG turned OFF, will gravity take care of overflow via pressure on the open waste line and discharge down the property to the storm drain?

Many thanks for your time and opinions!
Phil

If the highest point in the plumbing is above the level of the water in the pool, no flow will occur to the waste line without the action of the pump. This is probably either the pump outlet pipe or the multiport--if that point is higher than the level you wish not to exceed, your plan won't work. Does the pump basket fill by itself when pool is full? If the pump basket does not fill by itself when the pool is full, then you will certainly overflow, or at least go above the 'full' llevel.

The other thing is, once the flow starts, if it does, it will probably exceed the flow of your hose and drain the pool down to where the siphon breaks, i.e. just above the mouth of the skimmer.

Well, the flow rate out of two hoses came nowhere near overflowing the pool, so my question was moot. I appreciate the plumbing opinions.

duraleigh said:
I know you didn't ask this question but if your CYA is still 100+, you will find it very difficult to manage the pool. 70ppm would make your life much easier.

Ha - yeah, at lunch today I was at 90 ppm CYA, now (7:30 PM) I'm down to 49 ppm CYA now, probably going to 30-ish tonight.

I'm peeved at the pool service guy that installed the Intellichlor IC40 a few days ago (before I had my CYA test kit and didn't know my reading). He did NOT test the CYA level and just dumped the salt bags in. LOT OF GOOD THAT DID ME. I will not be using that service again.

My cousin-in-law says he runs between 20-30 CYA and keeps water balance stable as he also has an SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.