Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Flow Rate Hi & Lo Speed ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Flow Rate Hi & Lo Speed ?

I'm trying to find information on my pump, Flow rate on low speed compared to high speed and can not seem to find any info on the net ? Trying to figure out how many hours a day on low speed I need to run my pump to turn my pool volume over at least once per day ? I've read somewhere on here you should at least turn it over 1 time per day

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Flow Rate Hi & Lo Speed ?

From pentair's website here is a link to the challenger's flow curves: http://www.pentairpool.com/images/pr...wCurve_new.jpg I think yours is curve C.

The only way to know what your head loss is acuratly is to know most of your plumbing details. But if we assume a fairly lossy 50 feet of head loss, then your flow rate on high is somewhere around 77 gpm. On low you flow will be approximatly half of that, or ~39 gpm (or maybe just a little higher due to less head loss in the plumbing), but your power consumption will be 1/4 of full speed.

So, approximately 21600/39gpm/60= 9.2 hours to turn over once on low speed.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump Flow Rate Hi & Lo Speed ?

So, approximately 21600/39gpm/60= 9.2 hours to turn over once on low speed.
    Thanks Linen, I was planning on running my pump at low speed at 2 separate 6hr times per day and dial in my peristaltic pump for that time span and injection rate to maintain my proper FC levels, so it looks like I should be good with that pump run time for turn over rate
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....