Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG Not turning on.

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
Cleaned completely,Good strong pilot, New Pilot generator.
adjusted generator for max flame exposure.

With heater switch off - generator leads read 454 mV
With heater switch on - reading drops to 330 mV

When problem first occurred I could flip the on off switch a few times and it would finally turn on. Then that quit working.
By the end of last season I could jumper between generator red lead and coil and get the burners to turn on if I tried enough times.

Now with the new generator if I jumper red lead to coil, I hear the valve click then the pilot goes off.

Last year I tried bypassing all the switches and would have success and failures with each combination. This is what lead me to suspect the pilot generator. I thought that the success was a momentary spark with enough voltage to kick open the coil, but not enough to consistantly get it going.

I really doubt that a brand new 750 mV generator would be bad out of the box but it is possible.
I tried a bench test with a cigarette lighter and also maxed at about 450mV.

Desperate for Ideas.....

You could have more than one problem in the loop or just a bunch of connections that are giving you voltage drops. Disconnect the other end of the control circuit(the "th" on the valve that's not connected to the generator) and take voltage readings at each connection along the circuit with the heater turned on. Replace any connections or switches along the way that are bad. Be carefull when you jump the valve like you are doing. If there are any clogs in the burners or offices and it rolls out on you, you're going to smell like burnt hair for a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.