Intex 15 x 48 with Saltwater System Set up Question

May 17, 2012
I just upgraded this year to a 15 X 48 Intex pool and added the Saltwater system from Intex. I followed all of the instructions from Intex on the Saltwater set up and ran my first two hours with the Saltwater system on. When I checked my copper levels it was low...maybe even non existent. I completed the boost process and it was still measuring low. My question is should I do another boost or just let it run its normal two hours tomorrow and test again?

Also is there anything else I need to add once the cooper levels are good?

Welcome to tfp, teague0708 :wave:

As JohnT intimated, adding copper to your pool is not necessary with the proper levels of chlorine [that your intex saltwater system (swg) can produce] to keep your pool clear and clean. Adding copper can stain and turn blond hair green. Fortunately intex made it easy to just unplug the copper electrodes. The connector has a twist lock nut that you unscrew and then you can pull up on the wire to disconnect.

Pool school has some great information to help you maintain your pool. Take a look at this article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

And here are our recommended levels to maintain when using a swg: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Let us know if you have questions!

teague0708 said:
I just upgraded this year to a 15 X 48 Intex pool and added the Saltwater system from Intex.

I just setup my 15x48 AGP w/ Intex 2650 sand filter and Intex SWG, as well. While researching which direction I wanted to go with the pool a few weeks back, I do recall seeing multiple discussions with suggestions to disconnect the copper electrode on 2010 models of the SWG. I THINK the concerns were over staining of plaster pools - I can't find the post(s).

When I was much more into my saltwater aquarium, I recall reading about the benefits of copper as an algaecide and parasiticide, but I'm going the BBB route and didn't see any reference to copper levels.

-SAB

EDIT: Here's the thread I was referring to - intex-swg-with-copper-question-t29227.html

saboyce said:
When I was much more into my saltwater aquarium, I recall reading about the benefits of copper as an algaecide and parasiticide, but I'm going the BBB route and didn't see any reference to copper levels.
Copper is an algaecide, but still requires a sanitizer with it which the best choice is Chlorine. I would assume chlorine is not good for fish, but it is good for swimmers and clean, clear pool water. Since Chlorine does such a great job of sanitizing, when maintained at the proper level, then algaecides should not be not needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.