Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fountain on the cheap

1. Back To Top    #1

Fountain on the cheap

I have seen mods where people added fountains and thought they looked great. I was jealous so I wanted one too. However, my delima was I didn't want to be running the sand filter pump while kids playing in pool. This may change when I add an thru wall skimmer this weekend. Anyway, back to the fountain. . . My method was simply I bought a submersible pump at harbor freight . Caught it on sale and with 2 year replacement it wasn't much money at all. One stick of 3/4" PVC, a T, 90, 2 end caps and a threaded fitting . .that was the supplies. Cut 2, 2 foot sections for sprayer heads . .drilled around 8, 1/8th holes in each and put them unglued on the T fitting. Cut about a 4 inch piece to 90 from top and placed it on 90 degree fitting. Glued the threaded fitting to the remainder of PVC and threaded it on to outlet on pump. Leaving the T and the elbow unglued let me set in pool and test height . . Turned out to be perfect so I glued the 90. I left the shower wands running into the T unglued so I could rotate for the spay angle. Turned on pump and and WHAM . Wall of spraying water. Very cool . . Took maybe 15 minutes to do. The pump has a 10 foot cord so easily routed out the way. The pump is in the pool along the wall on the floor but it really isn't in the way at all. The kiddo LOVES it. Just an idea for people who don't want to hack the plumbing but want a fountain that is awesome and removable. I do have a zip tie around the fountain shaft to the rail of the pool just so someone wont mess with it. But easy to remove. Bonus, I can drain the pool with it, I am working n making a self contained vacumn with another pump. Can't go wrong having one. Replaced free if it burns up in two years or less.
    Food for thought.
    Phil
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fountain on the cheap

I would probably not have a cheap submersible pump in the pool while there are swimmers from an electrical safety perspective. At least make sure it is on a gfci outlet/breaker.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you'll have good luck with the HF pump. I've run several on my pond for 4+ years now, still going strong. I've replaced the "pond store" pump twice in the same time...the second time with a HF pump.

The main fountain pump runs 24/7/365, the others run 24/7 from March - November roughly.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I would probably not have a cheap submersible pump in the pool while there are swimmers from an electrical safety perspective. At least make sure it is on a gfci outlet/breaker.
    GFCI. The housing is sealed nicely and the cord is plenty long. I thought about the risk too. I'm ok with it and it works great.
    24' Round Above Ground, Metal by SOLEX
    Heat Pump, Focus Temp INSTAMAHK 80
    Hayward S-180T Sand Filter
    Hayward Ultra Pro LX Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

33' Seaspray Aegean II - 6' Deep End
    28K Gallons
    2" Hard Pipe Plumbing
    Hayward S244T 300 lb. Sand Filter
    1 HP - 2 speed - Powerflo Matrix Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGillis
    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    GFCI. The housing is sealed nicely and the cord is plenty long. I thought about the risk too. I'm ok with it and it works great.

I did a similar setup for my old in ground, it worked well. There seems to be a science to dealing with HFT and all their discounts and add on warranties.

I have to agree with Linen, as I am a little cautious about statistical insignificance. The number of accidents with sealed, gfi protected appliances is "statistically insignificant" as are the number of people struck by lightning twice. My brother has been struck by lightning twice (and is still alive) and my robot's instructions caution not to be in the water when it is plugged in, to "avoid a shock hazard" (24v system). I would not take a chance with the safety of my "kiddo" or anyone else for that matter. It is too easy to just unplug it and avoid being "one in a million".
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber