Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Salt to a NON SWP

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Salt to a NON SWP

I have an in-ground Concrete 25000 gal,. pool and would like to add salt to give it a better feel. I have seen so much on this in years past but now that I have my own pool i would like suggestions. It is a Fresh water pool. Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Salt to a NON SWP

Here's a link regarding this topic.

can-you-add-salt-t6006.html

I run my pools with added salt without the use of SWG
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, simond101

That is a good link Linkterfur pointed you too.

Be aware that your current salt level is probably not 0 if you have used liquid chlorine/beach to chlorinate, so you may want to test with salt strips to get a baseline before adding any.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, I will head over to the pool supply tomorrow to get my water tested for my salt amounts . Just a quick question....Is there a way to make the water sweeter? At times my water has a great taste and other times it does not. I am not quite sure what i do to get it to have that good fresh pool water taste if you know what i mean.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by simond101
    Just a quick question....Is there a way to make the water sweeter? At times my water has a great taste and other times it does not. I am not quite sure what i do to get it to have that good fresh pool water taste if you know what i mean.
    Stop drinking the pool water... ha ha. But seriously, it is probably mostly due to the Ph level of your water at the time, too low and sour? And seriously, if you use borax or borates, you should strongly discourage the drinking of your pool water by people and animals.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit