Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you install an oval doughboy on concrete?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you install an oval doughboy on concrete?

Hi all,

I was at the Doughboy dealer today, looking at oval pools (12 X 24) for that is all that will fit in our dinky backyard. We were going over the pools and prices, and I mentioned that we had a 16 ft wide concrete slab we would place it on, and she stopped in her tracks and said that an oval could not be installed on concrete.

Something about how water wants to go round in circles, and so the buttress support needs to be buried in ground using a concrete block, to support the wall. To keep it from going round.
    I was very surprised by that, so I thought I would check with y'all pool experts?

Is it possible to install an oval hard sided pool on concrete? If not, are there any work arounds?

I guess we could go to an intex soft sided pool if it won't work.

Many thanks!

Liz
    Billy Preston/will it go round in circles?
    Northern California Inground pool 20' by 40'
    Diamond Brite Quartz Medium Grey Plaster - Islands Sapphire Breeze Tile Border
    Jules Bright Cobalt Blue Blend Tile Bench fountain sheer waterfall descent
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you install an oval doughboy on concrete?

I don't know about Doughboy, but several pool dealers around louisville Ky. have ovals on asphault or concrete. Going from memory the now bankrupt Doughboy dealer had ovals in the past.
    27' x 54" Cameo by Backyard Leisure (Wilbar) 17,200 gallon
    Hayward S180T filter with a 1.5hp pump
    Zodiac Barracuda Ranger vacuum
    GLI fencing around top rail
    All piping hard piped (that is what I do far a living!)
    six 2'x20' solar panels

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks esdd,

several pool dealers around louisville Ky. have ovals on asphault or concrete.
    Good to know.

Going from memory the now bankrupt Doughboy dealer had ovals in the past.
    Interesting...maybe they gave bad advice as well!

I wonder if putting it on concrete voids any kind of warranty?

Thanks a bunch!

Liz
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

4. Back To Top    #4

I know the oval pools I have seen have channels that go under the pool quite a distance in addition to the straps. There would either need to be a channel in the concrete or a surface built up from the concrete such as polystyrene foam insulation. Here is an install video (not a doughboy) of a buttress free system showing the channels: http://www.familyleisure.com/custome...all--Oval-Pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The failure of the doughboy dealer had nothing to do with their pool business, they were a large hardware store as well, and the big box stores killed them. There is a rumor that the people that ran the pool department is in negotiations to open under their own names. I looked at an oval installation on concrete today, they had made an oval of retaining wall blocks two courses high about 3 feet wider than the pool on all sides and filled first with the gravel that has the finely ground stone in it so that it packs, then covered with sand.
    27' x 54" Cameo by Backyard Leisure (Wilbar) 17,200 gallon
    Hayward S180T filter with a 1.5hp pump
    Zodiac Barracuda Ranger vacuum
    GLI fencing around top rail
    All piping hard piped (that is what I do far a living!)
    six 2'x20' solar panels

6. Back To Top    #6

they had made an oval of retaining wall blocks two courses high about 3 feet wider than the pool on all sides and filled first with the gravel that has the finely ground stone in it so that it packs, then covered with sand.
    Translate please....
    So two rows of the blocks that measured 3 ft wide?

I'll see if we have that much space around where we want to put the pool.

Thanks again for the expert advice!

Liz

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Linen,

I know the oval pools I have seen have channels that go under the pool quite a distance in addition to the straps. There would either need to be a channel in the concrete or a surface built up from the concrete such as polystyrene foam insulation. Here is an install video (not a doughboy) of a buttress free system showing the channels: http://www.familyleisure.com/customer-s ... -Oval-Pool

Thanks for the info. I watched the video and it makes a lot of sense. I'll show it to my DH. We can probably figure that out.

I'm learning so much in this board!

Cheers,
    Liz