Low Chlorine readings help! New to Tabs

Sep 14, 2011
Ma
Ok so after years of using granular Calcium H. i switched to the Tri tablets. Put about 6 in the chlorinator at filter max flow. Does it take a few days to see Chlorine level rise? its barely registering. I shocked pool (30k gallons vinyl) when i opened. My ph is 7.2 Alk little low in process of bringing that up. Am i doing something wrong. Do i need to shock again bring Chlorine way up then let tabs maintain? Can I add some granular to through skimmer basket to give it a boost? (i know i cant had it to chlorinator where tabs are) would that be safe? Any help would be appreciated

It sounds like you need to shock your pool. Shocking is a process, not a product.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool
You are going to need a quality test kit like the TF-100 or K-2006 to do it properly.

You do realize using tablets is going to raise your CYA levels? And your calcium levels may be high from using granular Cal Hypo.

I don't suggest adding chlorine products to your skimmer.

Sounds like you may have traded one "bad" form of chlorine for another "bad" form of chlorine ... unless you are aware of what each of these is adding to your pool and you are still at recommended levels for everything.

Here is some reading:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Feel free to read the rest of Pool School if you would like to learn.

It is hard to help you without a full set of test results. And it is hard to maintain a pool without a good test kit.

I shocked again since pool was just opened(MA) and when its down to 3ppm will try the tabs again. Since they are slow dissolving does it take a few days for tabs to raise Chlorine to 1-3. For years i added 3/4 scoop of Cal Hyp in the morning then 1/4 scoop around 4pm to combat the sunlight never bothered with stabilizer. Thinking about going back to that if I can't get the trichlor tabs to raise my Chlorine level. The water is Crystal Clear PH is good

You did not "shock" as we describe it ... it is a process not a 1 time thing.

Yes tabs are slow and they add CYA continually, usually eventually leading to problems. This is one reason why we recommend liquid chlorine.

FYI, each puck, when fully dissolved will add 1.6ppm FC, 1ppm CYA, lower your pH by 0.09 and raise your salt by 1.3ppm based on the poolcalculator.

This forum is about understanding your water chemistry and through accurate testing and knowing what your pool NEEDS and not what the pool store wants to sell you while saving as much money as possible.

If you are happy with putting expensive cal-hypo in the pool and letting the sun destroy most of it before it is of any use to actually combating organics in the water, that is your choice ... just realize your pool is costing you more $ than it has to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.