Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: repairing punched holes in solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

repairing punched holes in solar cover

i bought one of the solar rollers for free-form pools and i need to adjust where i attach the pole to the cover because the pole can't handle the weight of my cover. I'll need to punch new holes in the cover and i'm wondering if there's a tape i can use to close up the first set of holes i punched.. they aren't huge holes, but the new holes might be close to the old ones and i just want to give it a little extra strength. i was thinking duct tape, of course, since that's fix-it for most.. but wondered if people had success with other tapes.

thanks,
    patty
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: repairing punched holes in solar cover

make sure it is dry....I use duct tape..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had great success using a product called Tuck Tape but it has two drawbacks: expensive and bright red. It's designed to seal the poly vapour barrier in construction (when you seal the clear poly sheeting to the floor/ceiling behind drywall). If you don't mind the look of a red patch, this tape is flexible, extremely waterproof, and sticks like crazy.

In years when I just wanted my solar cover to limp through the season I've used it to repair large tears as well as small holes. I'm going to affix it to the underside of my next new blanket to reinforce where the webbing strips attach: generally this is the first place my blankets tear, and the red won't be as visible.
    20 X 40 inground gunite. 38,000 gallons, Jacuzzi Dial Valve Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 pump. 40 + yrs in (fairly smooth) operation thanks to cussedness and a tiny bit of hydraulic cement.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks applgrl.. i already used some duct tape, but that Tuck Tape sounds pretty good.. and to reinforce the webbing strips? nice!
    next time, for sure!
    thanks again
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.