Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ace Hardware Memorial Day Sale on Pool chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Ace Hardware Memorial Day Sale on Pool chemicals

Tried to search and didn't see anyone post this yet. If you have a local Ace Hardware these prices aren't too bad. Sale starts tomorrow, May 25th and goes thru the 28th.

The flyer for my area has the blue HTH Shock (45% available chlorine) for $1.99/lb. (Much cheaper than Wal-Mart that charges $3.47/lb. or 5 lb. box for $14.97 + tax. Still not as cheap as Aldi 96 oz bleach @ $.99 or 182 oz Great Value bleach at $2.98, but a decent price if you buy shock anyway. I stocked up last year as they didn't limit quantities.

I've got my eye on their Liquid Chlorine though. I just bough 2 cases (4 gallons) last night at Wal-Mart for $6.47 + tax.

During this sale Ace has it 4 gallons for $10 of 10%, which is still not as good as the Aldi bleach, but fewer bottles and more concentrated works best for me!

They also have algaecide for $5, not sure how big a container, but worth mentioning.

Love this forum!

Matt
    24' round AG pool 12,500 gallon. Intex SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ace Hardware Memorial Day Sale on Pool chemicals

I went to my local Ace yesterday to buy the HTH liquid chlorine. They only had a few bottles on the shelf - but told me to come back friday and they'd have the 40 bottles I asked for waiting for me. 40 bottles will take my through the end of September. $100 for a summers worth of Chlorine isn't bad.....
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    I went to my local Ace yesterday to buy the HTH liquid chlorine. They only had a few bottles on the shelf - but told me to come back friday and they'd have the 40 bottles I asked for waiting for me. 40 bottles will take my through the end of September. $100 for a summers worth of Chlorine isn't bad.....
    Except that liquid chlorine degrades in storage, especially if it gets hot, and I hear Texas summers can be warm...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    Except that liquid chlorine degrades in storage, especially if it gets hot, and I hear Texas summers can be warm...
    Based on posts I've read by ChemGeek I believe I should be good as long as it is kept cool? I plan on keeping no more then 10 gallons in my buried 15 gallon tank and the rest inside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    As shown in the chart at the bottom of this page, bleach at 6% is going to last quite a while if kept at room temperature with it's half-life extending well beyond 2 years. Even high-quality chlorinating liquid kept at room temperature is going to be reasonable at 3-6 months, but if temps get warmer such as storing the chlorine outside in a shed, then the chlorine will degrade much more rapidly. Basically, 6% bleach lasts around 4 times longer than 12.5% chlorinating liquid, all else equal.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson
    During this sale Ace has it 4 gallons for $10 of 10%, which is still not as good as the Aldi bleach, but fewer bottles and more concentrated works best for me!
    The ads around me made me think the above as well. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to buy cases of 12.5% for $10. Still not as good as that Menards BOGO deal a couple weeks ago, but the best I've seen since then.

This reinforced to me to take my time and read the label. On a side note, anyone know what the main ingredient is in HTH Salt Start up? 77% CYA. Yes, you read that correctly. A product that screams SALT on the label is actually mostly stabilizer. Pool chemical marketing just kills me....
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry