Pool Filter Drain Question

A picture would help tremendously.

I recently read about a setup that would allow the floor drain to be used for either suction OR for a return (to better heat the water) ... maybe that is this, but we would need a picture to be sure.

Attached is the pic. I have 2 issues now. One of my skimmers is not really sucking in water, also, it seems like the "main drain" in the middle of the pool is not sucking in water, there is a lot of dirt by there. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Is that an Anthony-Sylvan by any chance? Your setup is very similar to mine. Yes, the pool drain return lets water go back through the floor drain. They suggest it warms the water faster. I am not totally convinced it does but it might--I do use it in the Spring and surface temp does go down; therefore it must have some effect. I also like it for vacuuming because it does not disturb the surface and helps get crud out from around the pool drain.

The important thing is to never open Pool Drain on the suction side and Pool Drain Return on the return side both at the same time. You will then create a short circuit loop and you will just be recirculating water that never leaves the equipment pad. The Pool Drain Return does make blowing out the lines in the fall more complex, but I have it down.

If it is A-S, at least they didn't give you a Nature2--I hate those things.

EDIT: If you want both your skimmers to work full blast, turn the leftmost (topmost) valve in the first pic so the handle points to the right in the same direction as the horizontal pipe. That valve is to adjust between the two skimmers; as set, one of them is at half force or less.

It is as I suspected. You can use the floor drain for suction or for return.

The valve directly in front of the pump selects if you are sucking from the skimmers or the floor drain. In your pictures, the valve is set in the middle to suck from both.

The valve near the blue hose I am guessing is to select between the skimmers? The valve position is a little odd as you have one of the sides mostly closed and the middle port partly closed. If you turn that valve so the "closed/off" points to the blue hose, you should pull closer to even between the 2 skimmers.

OK that is the suction side. The water then goes up out of the pump and through the next valve which I presume selects a pressure side cleaner of the filter. Then out of the filter and through the big grey thing (chlorinator?) and to the return valve. This decides where the water returns to the pool. you have the floor closed and the wall open so all the water goes back to the wall.

You have to be careful to avoid setting the suction valve and the return valve such that you are trying to use the floor for both ... not sure what the water would do ... you may just end up running water in a circle on the pad and not moving anything in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.