Has anyone used the solar pro xf, a flat panel solar heater?

Re: Has anyone used the solar pro xf, a flat panel solar hea

Solar heating is all about surface area. You generally want 50-100% of your pool surface area in solar area ... although the ones encased in glass are a little more effective I think.

Those panels are 10 sqft each ... it would take a LOT of them to be very effective.

My regular panel solar system is going to be 500 sqft.

jblizzle said:
Solar heating is all about surface area. You generally want 50-100% of your pool surface area in solar area ... although the ones encased in glass are a little more effective I think.

Those panels are 10 sqft each ... it would take a LOT of them to be very effective.

My regular panel solar system is going to be 500 sqft.

Yes, that's what I suspect, Jason. I can't see how something that small can be effective on a 15'x25' oval pool. I did call the manufacturer and they insist it works... lol. Well, what else are they GOING to say, right? If they had a money-back guarantee I'd order one and see if it works. Guess I'll just have to try to repair the leaks in my Fafco.

The enclosed heaters are more efficient as the box gets hot throughout so even the back of the tubes is heated (did you see all the heat transfer fins on the pipes?) ... so that could help to add more heat to the water as it passes through. But that seems awfully small to me.

Did you read the manual? It says to know your pool volume/etc at the beginning, but then never uses that info for anything ... I was kind of expecting a table recommending the # of panels, but nope.

In the troubleshooting under "Does not appear to be heating": Solutions:
"Is it sunny?" ... duh
"put your pool cover on at night" ... hmm wonder if THAT would have more to do with why the water is warmer :)
"additional heaters may be necessary" ... BINGO there it is "I am sorry that it is not heating as you expected, sir. Maybe you should try to buy a few more!!!"

jblizzle said:
The enclosed heaters are more efficient as the box gets hot throughout so even the back of the tubes is heated (did you see all the heat transfer fins on the pipes?) ... so that could help to add more heat to the water as it passes through. But that seems awfully small to me.

Did you read the manual? It says to know your pool volume/etc at the beginning, but then never uses that info for anything ... I was kind of expecting a table recommending the # of panels, but nope.

In the troubleshooting under "Does not appear to be heating": Solutions:
"Is it sunny?" ... duh
"put your pool cover on at night" ... hmm wonder if THAT would have more to do with why the water is warmer :)
"additional heaters may be necessary" ... BINGO there it is "I am sorry that it is not heating as you expected, sir. Maybe you should try to buy a few more!!!"

:lol: Your post really made me laugh. Well, have found the two holes in the Fafco 4'x20' panel. I thought there were more, so was happy to find only two. I am using spray on rubberized undercoating. I have the repair kit with those rubber tubes but even when I slipped them inside the part of the tube I tried to carefully cut away with an xacto knife, they didn't seem to be in there very solidly. Like they might pop out. Did I read on this board that some woman actually used a glue gun to seal the leaks in her panel? I wonder if that worked/held up??? :bump:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.