Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this?

For the past month I've noticed this brown film occurring in my chlorine floater. See the pic here:
    http://tinyurl.com/87rl5f3

The pool is clear, but there is a brownish dust that accumulates on the pool bottom.
    FC 5.4
    CC 3.4
    Ph 7.6
    TA 110
    CH 320
    CYA 100

Any ideas as to what this is?
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this?

I'm not sure, it could be pollen. I've been getting plenty of it in my pool lately. That stuff is actually the least of your worries right now. Your CC is 3.4 and CYA is 100... that's not good. I highly recommend taking those chlorine pucks out of your pool ASAP. Every one you use is adding more CYA to your water. You need to do a partial drain anf refill to lower your CYA, then start shocking your pool.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like saw dust or maybe just dust.

Based on your test results, you have significant CC and should be in the shock process ... which is going to be difficult with a CYA of 100 (and likely higher since that is the max on the test ... try mixing 50/50 pool and tap water and then redo the CYA test doubling the results to get a little better feel how high it really is).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL
    I'm not sure, it could be pollen. I've been getting plenty of it in my pool lately. That stuff is actually the least of your worries right now. Your CC is 3.4 and CYA is 100... that's not good. I highly recommend taking those chlorine pucks out of your pool ASAP. Every one you use is adding more CYA to your water. You need to do a partial drain anf refill to lower your CYA, then start shocking your pool.

When draining, is it bad to use the water to irrigate lawn?
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

5. Back To Top    #5

No. Especially with the low chlorine levels you are showing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just don't drain ALL the water at once. Always leave at least a couple of feet in the pool.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]