Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about returns

I read somewhere it is best to have your returns pointing down and to the right (instead of straight ahead) to make the water move counterclockwise around the pool? It this true and if it isnt what is the best way for my returns to be facing.
    16x32, 20k gal, IG, vinyl, hayward sand filter model S244T 24in, 1.5hp

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Question about returns

You don't want them to break the surface of the water. From top of pool, mine is facing down at 100-110 degrees to the right and circulates the long way around the pool back to the skimmer. Play with it and see what works for you.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

Every pool is different, but you are on the right track! Pointing them down tends to get better circulation than pointing them up. As far as direction, I don't think it matters if it is left or right (as long as the direction is consistent among all of the returns). You can float a ping pong ball or two on your pool to get an idea about the surface circulation.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Warning!!! Non-nerds need read no further.

There is probably something about the Coriolis Effect here to "optimize" the direction you would want your pool water to flow. It would be opposite for those down under.

Granted this is likely a small difference in water flow ... but the toilets do flow the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Indiana

It really depends on your pool. Aiming them down is probably best for water circulation, but aiming them up makes the skimmer work better at clearing the surface. Since I have a main drain, I aim mine so the ripple the surface and move things toward the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

This is exactly what I found. If you have a slight ripple on the surface, the skimmers works best. At first, I pointed them down and found to have a lot of dust accumulating on the surface (the pool is a waddling of 2 feets deep). Since they are a bit on the surface side, the water is crystal clear.
    And the theory of the earth rotation, I think this is why we want it counter-clockwise.
    Indoor 160K gal. tile pool, Pentair 15 Hp Epoxy coated pump, 5 Vortisand 150 gal. sand filter tanks with PLC programmed BW, Pulsar 3 tablet chlorinator, acid injection, Strantrol 5F ORP controller, titanium heaters, level control, vaccum line.

...and a paddle pool.