Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: could one pass another pipe inside another?

1. Back To Top    #1

could one pass another pipe inside another?

I have a small leak somewhere from the pad to the skimmer. It causes the pump to slow down and then speed back up. When Ted AKA "waste" was here we tried to find it to no avail. He told me when I open the pool again, I will pull out the kizzmo and the water/antifreese should girgle and slowly leak out. But it didn't. It's like there was no leak. I thought if I could pass another smaller pipe all the way to the skimmer inside the other one. Dumb Idea? Right now I'm just useing the sideport to pull water to the filter. Ted said that would be ok, just you would have to do alot of hand skimming. That skimmer line is under alot of concrete. Thanks. Filix.
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: could one pass another pipe inside another?

It can be done:

http://pipesdownunder.com/

American Leak Detection quoted $1500 to do about 40'.
    It reduces pipe size about 1/4".

Fortunately I found my suction side leak about a foot down. Had a copper elbow replaced for $120.

Good luck!
    18 X 32 Oval Inground Gunite Pool 20,000 Gallons Epoxy Painted in 2012
    Tagelus Sand Filter TA 60 D/TA 60-Hayward Super Pumps 1 H.P.
    Ray-Pac Heater 266,000 BTU, KLeen Machine Pool Cleaner
    Solar Cover-Rocky's Pool Cover Reel-Intermatic T104R Timer
    TF-100 Test Kit-PoolSkim Skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Gary. I pulled 100ft of 220 wire under ground through a small pipe with a little grease and a nylon string. I should be able to think of something. I was wondering about the reduced size of pipe, if it would harm the pump some how.
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

4. Back To Top    #4

Going to a smaller pipe will certainly increase your head loss and greatly reduce your flow rate ... which could be a problem if your pump is sucking too hard.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

You might want to check other leak detection companies, I paid about $350-$375 to find one a couple of years ago to find a leak in the return line under concrete. The guy I used was from about 100 miles away, and I had to wait about a month for him to be in the area to avoid a large service call cost. As I recall he had 4 or 5 jobs in my area that day, most being pools.

Ike

p.s. leak was known to be in the pressure side, total length under concrete is about 70 feet.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Isaac what do you mean by the pressure side? The whole system is under pressure. My skimmer is about 20ft from the pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

The plumbing after the pump is the pressure side, as the water is now being "pushed" through the system after being "sucked" into the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!