TA just won't budge

May 6, 2012
Peoria, IL
For about three weeks, I've been trying to lower my TA by reducing my pH to 7.2, then aerating it back up to 7.6, then repeating. My TA still seems locked at 200 using the TF-100 TA test.

I've used both dry acid and muriatic acid. I don't have any borates in the pool, nor have I used any pH increasers other than aeration.

My TA was also high all last summer back when I was still a rookie and didn't really care about it too much, and I've never had any calcium scaling issues.

I have an Intex pool that gets drained and refilled every summer, so if it's going to take several more weeks to get my TA down to 80 or so, should I even bother if it's going to get drained anyway?

And I do keep a good eye on my pH. I don't let it go above 7.8, so I'm not really worried about the TA bringing my pH up too much. Also, this high TA is from my fill water, so when I need to add about an inch or so of water due to evaporation, my TA is just gonna go up again anyway.

There is no need to lower TA as long as you don't mind insuring that the PH doesn't go above 8.0.

TA increases can come from water additions, typically because of topping off after evaporation, if your fill water has high TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.