Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I noticed yesterday that my filter pressure has dropped from its usual PSI of about 15 down to 10. I made sure the skimmer baskets and the pump basket are clear and they are. I isolated each of the skimmers and the main drain to see if that made any difference and it did not. I bled the air in the filter with no change. The returns and the water in the pump basket seem to be normal.

I did notice that the top edge around the basket in the pump is cracked almost all of the way around (I will be getting a new one). Would that cause any issues? Any other ideas?

God bless and thanks in advance!!

mas985 said:
Did you recently do any vacuuming? Lower pressure can be caused by a partially clogged impeller.

Not too recently. There hasn't been a lot going into the pool to vacuum, thankfully!

Richard320 said:
Tap on the gauge with your fingernail a few times, see if it moves.

I will give that a shot this evening.

Okay, tapping on the gauge did not change anything.

There are some small bubbles coming out the returns by the steps. These are not like the bubbles that come out the return due to the SWG, but more like small air bubbles.

I have also noticed that the filter is building up air and I need to bleed it whereas I usually do not have to do this unless I am priming the pump. This does not change the pressure gauge before or after, but I figured I would mention it just in case it helps.

SPKNout4CHRIST said:
Okay, tapping on the gauge did not change anything.

There are some small bubbles coming out the returns by the steps. These are not like the bubbles that come out the return due to the SWG, but more like small air bubbles.

I have also noticed that the filter is building up air and I need to bleed it whereas I usually do not have to do this unless I am priming the pump. This does not change the pressure gauge before or after, but I figured I would mention it just in case it helps.
Could be you're sucking air somewhere. Less water flow means lower pressure. Start at the obvious. Check the gasket on the strainer. Be sure there's no cracks, no dirt or grass stuck to it, and grease it up good. Also check the drain plugs on the pump and strainer.

Took off the pump strainer basket lid and cleaned and greased the o-ring. Put it back on and viola! Pressure is back to normal and the bubbles that had been in the pump basket are gone. Simple fix and I am glad for it! Thanks for the help!!!

God bless,
Matthew

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.