Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Do You Measure With?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Do You Measure With?

I am just getting started with the BBB method and as I am measuring out my bleach dosages I am wondering what others are using to measure with. I bought a couple plastic 32oz measuring cups, but I frequently need to measure much more than 32oz. Do you all use a standard 32oz measuring cup and just make the multiple measurements? Do you have some homemade calibrated bottle to measure in? Do you have a much larger measuring cup you use?

I searched for larger measuring cups and they seem to skyrocket in price pretty quickly. If you have a link you could share to one that is inexpensive, please do!

Thanks,
    -Garry
    Above-Ground Pool 24' x 52" (13,500 gal)
    Installed May 2011
    Hayward 1HP Power-Flo Pump. Hayward 150lb Sand Filter, Main drain
    Plumbed with Flexible PVC & Fittings June 2013, Modified Slotted Return Jet for Increased Circulation (2014)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Do You Measure With?

I have a 2cup plastic measuring cup and a mr coffee plastic tea pitcher that I measured out and marked the sides of for different measurements. That way I can just pour directly into the pitcher if I need more than 16oz of something.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

4 cup pyrex measuring cup here
    12k gal gunite, Sunstone Plaster, Pentair IntelliFloŽ VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Pentair CCP520 cart filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmm . . . graduated tea pitcher. That sounds like something I should look for. I kept searching "measuring cup" online.

Thanks, any others?
    -Garry
    Above-Ground Pool 24' x 52" (13,500 gal)
    Installed May 2011
    Hayward 1HP Power-Flo Pump. Hayward 150lb Sand Filter, Main drain
    Plumbed with Flexible PVC & Fittings June 2013, Modified Slotted Return Jet for Increased Circulation (2014)

5. Back To Top    #5

I use my DE measuring scoop. I marked it with a scribe in ppm for my size pool based on 12.5% LC. I use twice as much when I use 6% bleach in small amounts. Measuring in ounces is just a huge waste of time. KISS.

I mainly use LC. If it's bleach, a half 182 oz. jug is 1.6 ppm for me (28k gals). I do that by feel. This ain't cardiac medicine. Think in ppm, do the math once, and it all becomes much easier.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

As far as plastic measuring cups go - when using muriatic acid (29%), do you need a special kind of plastic? polyethylene? polypropylene?, etc. so that it does not melt or start to dissolve the cup?
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)