Shock process ruining liner????

Jun 30, 2011
I'm in the process of shocking our pool using the BBB methods. This morning I was doing the prescribed brushing, and I'm noticing quite a few spots that don't brush up. They look exactly like a rusted nail head. Some in clusters, some along an obvious seam. Could it be that the vinyl liner is somehow nailed in place and the higher chlorine levels yesterday has damaged the heads?

Should I abort this shock process & revert back to a more traditional (less harmfull??) method of shocking?

How often does a liner typically need replacement, and how big an expense is it? What can I do pool care wise to extend the life of our current liner??

Thanks!

The liner just lays in place and is held there by the water. Rusty spots could be from metal in the pool that stained the liner. Vitamin C tablets will get rid of the spots.

JohnT said:
The liner just lays in place and is held there by the water. Rusty spots could be from metal in the pool that stained the liner. Vitamin C tablets will get rid of the spots.

Maybe our pool has an atypical liner installation. The spots are perfect circles, evenly spaced along the edges of the liner. I would expect more random patchiness from metals in the pool water.

diaperjoys said:
JohnT said:

Maybe our pool has an atypical liner installation. The spots are perfect circles, evenly spaced along the edges of the liner. I would expect more random patchiness from metals in the pool water.

If somebody used nails to hold your liner in place, you have way more problems than spots on the liner. Anything steel that falls in the pool can leave a rust spot: BBs, hair clips, screw heads etc..

Your in ground liner pool may be mounted to a wood frame and the rust from the nails / screws could be bleeding through from the back, however if this is the case the liner is likely in very bad shape.

The pool store way of shocking is definitely NOT less harmful. I don't know where you get that from.

Liners that are not terribly abused will usually last about 10 years. Some more, some less. However if your's has been chemically abused over the years then it may not last nearly that long.

The cost of a new liner is based on the size and complexity of the shape. It's hard to say what yours will cost but $1500 to $4000 is a ballpark. And another thousand or so to install it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.