Are Whiperflow motors interchangeable (1.5 to 1.0 hp)

Jul 3, 2007
Maryland
A friend of mine has a Whisperflow pump with a 1.0 hp motor and I have one with a 1.5 motor. He has a 40K gallon pool and mine is about 19k gallons. Are the motors interchangeable? Both motors are currently wired 240V. What else is involved in this type of swap? Anything else besides the motor?

If you put a 1.5HP motor on a 1HP impeller, you'll get performance like a 1HP motor as far as electrical usage and water movement.

Using the 1HP motor on the 1.5HP impeller will be a problem. The motor will turn it just like the 1.5HP motor, but it isn't designed for that load and may overheat.

The impeller is attached to the motor so just leave it on the motor it came with and swap both as a single unit.

Would this be a wise move on my part? In other words, will 1 hp be adequate or will I see decreased performance. My intention is to reduce energy costs. I have no water features other than a pressure side cleaner (Polaris 360) and a Heat Siphon heat pump , 2" plumbing wth 90 degree bends. The fella I may trade with has 40k gallons 2" plumbing and wants a stronger pump...

Unless you have a fountain, waterfall, or spa you haven't mentioned, a 1 HP WhisperFlo will be more than enough for that pool. The smaller pump will use less electricity and just slightly improve your filtering.

Whisperflo's don't come with unions and are usually hard plumbed with threaded pipe so it is much easier to replace just the motor and impeller and leave the wet end in place so you don't have to re-plumb. Even if both pumps had external unions, I doubt they would be in exactly the same place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.