Type of sock for adding CYA

I used a cut up pair of my wife's old pantyhose. It worked great! Pretty funny filling the pantyhose with the 4 lb canister of cya. The little can holds quite a bit when it's put into the hose. It kept filling and filling until the panythose was nearly three feet long.

This is kind of weird but I recently bought a "Bra Bag" from my grocery store For this exact purpose. It cost about $5 and I found it when I was looking for some borax. It works great for this purpose - fill it up an it fits perfectly in my skimmer.

It has a zipper closure that seems to hold up well to chemicals and has 2 sides with fine or coarse mesh so you could control the release speed of the chemicals.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W5NU8I

Traveller... freaking genius... I hate adding all of the solid chems directly to my filter but I know I killed my last liner with solid chems on the floor of my AGP. I am either going to steal the one we have in the laundry room or pinch over to WM to get one for the skimmer basket. Now the kids won't play with it.

jccams said:
Probably been asked before but what kind of sock should I be using to add granular CYA?

I just pour CYA directly into the skimmer. The only downside is you cant back wash for a few days. But I think it dissolves very quickly, probably within 24 hours with water constantly passing over every particle

The only problem with pouring directly into the skimmer (other than not being able to backwash) is we've had two cases recently where CYA has solidified in the piping partially blocking the flow and had to be chipped out. While we don't see that often, it can happen and people should be aware that it can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.