Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Type of sock for adding CYA

Type of sock for adding CYA

Probably been asked before but what kind of sock should I be using to add granular CYA?
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

Re: Type of sock for adding CYA

It doesn't matter a whole lot. Just about anything, from a stocking to a heavy wool sock, will work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I used a cut up pair of my wife's old pantyhose. It worked great! Pretty funny filling the pantyhose with the 4 lb canister of cya. The little can holds quite a bit when it's put into the hose. It kept filling and filling until the panythose was nearly three feet long.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

Used old tube socks (no holes)
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

Old tube sock here too. You'll be amazed at how pristine white it is once all the stabilizer is dissolved too
    18' Summer Escapes ProSeries - 7600gal - Hayward 1hp pump w/18" sand filter - AquaTrol SWG -

This is kind of weird but I recently bought a "Bra Bag" from my grocery store For this exact purpose. It cost about $5 and I found it when I was looking for some borax. It works great for this purpose - fill it up an it fits perfectly in my skimmer.

It has a zipper closure that seems to hold up well to chemicals and has 2 sides with fine or coarse mesh so you could control the release speed of the chemicals.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W5NU8I
    Above Ground 22,600gal vinyl
    Hayward s220t sand filter w/ 1hp pump

Traveller... freaking genius... I hate adding all of the solid chems directly to my filter but I know I killed my last liner with solid chems on the floor of my AGP. I am either going to steal the one we have in the laundry room or pinch over to WM to get one for the skimmer basket. Now the kids won't play with it.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

Quote Originally Posted by jccams
    Probably been asked before but what kind of sock should I be using to add granular CYA?
    I just pour CYA directly into the skimmer. The only downside is you cant back wash for a few days. But I think it dissolves very quickly, probably within 24 hours with water constantly passing over every particle
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

The only problem with pouring directly into the skimmer (other than not being able to backwash) is we've had two cases recently where CYA has solidified in the piping partially blocking the flow and had to be chipped out. While we don't see that often, it can happen and people should be aware that it can.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

When pouring into the skimmer, it is also possible for CYA to cause the pump to lose prime or break the pump skimmer basket if you pour too quickly (been there done both).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School