Hayward sand filter making hissing and whistling noise! help

Jun 27, 2011
I opened my pool today by myself for the first time. It was incredibly.difficult but I.believe I did it all correctly. After it was all ready, I removed the pressure relief screw in cap and directed the water to waste. It all worked great. When I moved it to filter, I left the cap.off and turned it on. It immediately began whistling and hissing. I didn't even Niger to look at he pressure I just.shut it off. Is there something wrong or should I put the cap back on? I was under the.impression it should stay off till all the air was clearly out. Please answer asap cuz I want my swamp clean by the weekend...if possible.

Re: Hayward sand filter making hissing and whistling noise!

Try turning the multi valve back to waste and then back to filter. Mine hisses when the valve does not seal properly ... and some water continues out waste.

If you pool id really a swamp, you probably should have started a few weeks ago to be sure of swimming this weekend ... sorry, but good luck.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

kvmommy said:
I opened my pool today by myself for the first time. It was incredibly.difficult but I.believe I did it all correctly. After it was all ready, I removed the pressure relief screw in cap and directed the water to waste. It all worked great. When I moved it to filter, I left the cap.off and turned it on. It immediately began whistling and hissing. I didn't even Niger to look at he pressure I just.shut it off. Is there something wrong or should I put the cap back on? I was under the.impression it should stay off till all the air was clearly out. Please answer asap cuz I want my swamp clean by the weekend...if possible.
Though I do not have this type of filter, I am pretty sure you keep the air bleeder (or manual air relief cap) open until water starts coming out, then you turn off the pump and close the air bleeder. I would think the whistling and hissing should be expected as you are moving a lot of air through a small hole.

Pentair has a decent startup procedure that includes what to do with their air bleeder: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/TritonIIOM.pdf

Ok did it again and it hissed and whistled then water shot everywhere. I screwed the cap back on and the pressure shot up real fast to 40 within seconds. I shut it off cuz I'm terrified it will explode. A relative of mine did pool stuff and last year a filter exploded and he is severely brain damaged now. I'm literally shaking cuz it scared me. The previous owner said to not let the pressure go shiver 35.

What position was the valve in? Do you have plugs in the pool returns and are your valves on the return lines (water going back to pool) open?

I'm not sure what valve u mean? All the plugs r out of the pool. And I'm not sure how my valve to the pool works. All I know is that when I started with the waste no water was coming into the filter, I turned them to inlet and the water flowed. I googled the heck out of the valves to find out how they work but found no answers.

A picture of your equipment pad would help a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Too funny that linen and I said the same thing I see now. I was talking about the hissing being from the backwash valve, but the air leaving the relief valve on the top would certain be another source. Now we are trying to determine if you have a valve AFTER the filter that selects where the water returns to the pool. 40psi seems pretty high (although not explosively so I don't think). Can you tell if the water is making it back to the pool? Has the hissing stopped with the air cap back on?

Got to thinking that my first post might have come off as rude ... I did not mean to sound dismissive.

It can often take 1-2 weeks to fully clean up a swamp depending on how bad it really is. Once we get the water flow issue resolved check out Pool School. Specifically:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Shocking Your Pool

Hard to tell from those pictures where the filter and pump, etc. are. We will need to see where those pipes go that go off screen on you third and forth pictures.

EDIT: The following sentence is incorrect, see jbliz's comments below. LinenOne note on those valves, the direction the handle points is closed, so in your first and second picture (they look like the same valve?) the pipe to the right is closed off.

Either my pix are flipped or those valves are different than all I have seen or linen is off.

The word closed is on the opposite side of the handle so the pipes on the left are closed in the pix I saw.

The pump is inside the shed and valves r outside so I don't know how to show where the pipes are connected. The first two pics of the individual valves r two seperate valves, the last valve leads to the heat pump, and my daughter took it off over the winter so when I put it on I couldn't tell how it was supposed to go on. I assumed it wasn't a big deal til I got the pool up and running and was going to use the heater.

Here's a better pic of the valves.
http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t51 ... AG0034.jpg
here they are from the inside...the pipe in the front is attached to the valve on the left
http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t51 ... AG0040.jpg
Here is the pipe behind the pump coming from the outside
http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t51 ... AG0044.jpg
And here's a vloseup of a valve

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t51 ... AG0036.jpg
here is the valve turned so u can see it says inlet

I can not really tell what is going on on the right with the 2 valves. Maybe take a pic from the side? I think the problem is that third valve on the right.

The left valve is suction (skimmer or floor? Or pool or spa? )

The middle valve I think is the return ( wall or waterfall or pool or spa? )

The third valve I think you said was for a heater. But right now you face it set so nothing can get back to the pool. Figure out which side of that valve comes from the filter and turn the valve to close the opposite side ... presumably to the heater. Although then I do not see where the water would come back from the heater. Anyways I bet if you turn it one way or the other you will get water flow.

jblizzle said:
Either my pix are flipped or those valves are different than all I have seen or linen is off.

The word closed is on the opposite side of the handle so the pipes on the left are closed in the pix I saw.

Nope jbliz you are right I am off/wrong. I was up too late (and the pics were the right way on my screen I think). Sorry about that :hammer: :oops:

Added note to my post above.

Wellllll....u guys were right. It was third valve on the right. Nothing was coming out of the return jets. I went to the pool place and he recommended putting it on recirculates so the water bypasses the filter so I don't have to worry about pressure. From there find the right configuration for the valves and returns. Once I got that then try the filter again which might need a lot of backwashing....which it did. I also had a lot of air in there even though I thought I purged it last night. Sooooo....now my pool works great! Thanks sooooo much for your help and support. I just dumped in algaecide....waiting a bit to shock. My cya is only 22 so I want to wait til dark to shock it. Oh I have more questions on chemicals. Ill ask in the correct thread though. Oh and my telescoping pole broke so half of it is in the water. Better get another so I can ckean this swamp.

Algaecide does nothing for a pool that is already a swamp, and really is not ever needed if you keep the FC at the correct levels ... don't waste your money ... read more Pool School!!!

Leave all your questions here or it gets confusing for us to remember you back story.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.