Hayward sand filter making hissing and whistling noise! help

Re: Hayward sand filter making hissing and whistling noise!

I got the algaecide for really cheap and figured id need all the help. So...I know....I know. Get the test kit. But for now I have scrappy strips that only go to 10 ppm. Should I wait til the Color drops below what it States is 10 ppm or should I keep adding bleach every hour or so? I really want to clear it up....mostly cud my telescoping pole broke. Bought a $49 one and the tip fell off...into thevdeep end...in a murky swamp. Ibstarted pulling the hose out with the head still attached and the vaccum head falls off. So now no pole and no vaccum until it clears enough to to somehow scoop it out.

If you want to continue shocking your pool, and you can't get one of the recommended test kits, at least get Chlorine and ph drop based kit...usually just a few dollars everywhere. You can do a dilution and and get closer using that chlorine kit (let us know if you get one and we can tell you how to do the dilution). The strips just are not going to cut it for efficient and proper shocking.

kvmommy said:
Ok I'm getting one tomorrow. It should hold me over til I get the kit
I had not realized you had already ordered a good kit :goodjob: If you ordered from tftestkits.net, Dave will get it to you pretty fast.

In the meantime to use the OTO kit, you will need to do a dilution. Your results will not be very accurate, but should be enough to limp along your shock process. For your cya of 22 ppm, poolcalculator.com says your minimum shock level is 12 ppm FC. Since the OTO kit only reads TC, for now we will just treat it's results as FC (though TC is really FC+CC). Mix 3 parts distilled or bottled water (do not use tap water...most city water is chlorinated) with one part pool water, then use that to fill the OTO chlorine test vial. Follow the tests instructions for how many drops of the titrant to add (usually 5 drops). Take that result and multiply it by 4. This would mean, if you are reading three on the color chart, with your 3 parts distilled water to 1 part pool water, you would multiply by 4 and your pool water TC would be 12 ppm. Not the easiest or most accurate way to test, but you can limp by for a little bit doing that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.