Newbie here need help

May 7, 2012
Ok I have a intex agp 18x52in well yesterday I came home and tested with the strips and no chlorine showed up so I put in 2 186oz 6% jugs in. Well today I tested the water with me leslies kit and my chlorine is out of sight but the water is clear so do need to lower the chlorine or just let it evaporate? My test results are

Fc 10
cc 10
Ph 7.4
Ta 100
Ch 180
Cya 180

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Before anything drastic, test strips are notoriously wrong. At least get a pool store's "opinion" of what your CYA level is. Then (or before) order yourself a good test kit (see my signature) ... it will be the best investment you make to care for your pool.

Also, chlorine does not evaporate, it is either broken down by organics or the sun. I think you would greatly benefit from reading some Pool School articles. Start with ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and work your way through the rest.

For reference, if your CYA is 180. You need to maintain your FC level above 14ppm routinely just to avoid algae problems. Once you have algae problems, you have to maintain FC above 40ppm for the shock process.

Pay someone $300-400 to come out and do a reverse osmosis treatment on the pool. That is the only alternative.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Let's look at this logically.

1) What have you been using to chlorinate in the past? Pucks? Liquid Bleach? Shock powder?
2) How did you get 180 on CYA? The tester only reads to 100. Did you dilute it 50-50 or something? How many times did you repeat it? I seldom get the same result twice in a row using the same sample poured back into the mixing bottle and the same view tube. But they're usually close, within 5 of each other.

The point is, you need accurate test results to make the correct decisions. By the way, chlorine will dissipate on it's own, just be patient. A couple hot days should bring it down.

You need to drain and refill 1/3 to 1/2 of the water. I suggest pumping or siphoning out about a foot. Use it to water the lawn. Then refill it and get the FC up to 8 -10, as CYA will then be roughly 80. Check & adjust pH with all that new water in there. Give it a day or so to mix well and retest CYA. Then do it again and again until CYA gets down to where you want it.. As the CYA level goes down, your minimum chlorine level will also go down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.