Sand filter laterals question

May 2, 2010
I have a Waterway high rate sand filter (26" i believe). I just started up the pool this year and noticed some sand on the bottom of the pool after i got the water cleared up from green.
When I removed the valve and inspected the laterals they were all intact but the piece that they fit into was separated in half. I can get the laterals to screw into it still and hold it together but when i put it back in and hooked it up it started shooting way more sand into the pool.
I guess what im really wondering is if the piece the laterals screw into is supposed to be in two separate pieces or is it one solid piece?
The sand filter was bought used 2 years ago and has worked every year that i have had it.

Is there anyway you can post a pic of what happened? We have the same filter, same issue of sand blowing back in the pool. Everyone tells us to inspect the laterals, we do, but aren't really sure what a problem would look like.

I thought our filter was just a piece of junk that no one else in the world had.

There's a picture somewhere on the site that shows one that came apart just like Nick is describing. I can't find it right now but the google search at the bottom of the page might work for someone that was interested. If I have time, I'll look more later.

Ok so i got that issue figured out... just used waterproof apoxy to glue it back together. Now i have another question before i go ahead and break something...

How do i get the stand pipe out of the valve? it seems pretty locked in there.... kinda hard to fill sand and water in it with the valve on.

Attachments

• Filter1.jpg
    Filter1.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 49

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for the help. I finally got it off with the help of my dad. There was sand and other gunk in it and it was quite a battle but we managed it. I cleaned out the hole for the stand pipe and the stand pipe itself. Also used a little sand paper action to get it a little smoother. Just got everything back together and its working great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.