Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inconsistent Cl Tests

1. Back To Top    #1

Inconsistent Cl Tests

I tested the pool tonight for Cl with both the Taylor Quick Test (colored block) and with the FAS-DPD test in the TF-100. The results were vastly different.

Qucik Test - Barely 2
    FAS-DPD - 4

I just recently bought some replacement reagent for the qucik test from a pool store. Could it be the R-0600 is somehow out of date or not as effective. Results with the original reagent were always very close to the other test. Also, if I let it sit for a minute or two, it gets a little darker.

Any ideas?
    Pool: Inground gunite/plaster, 34'x12', 3.5' - 5.5' - 3.5', ~14,000 Gal, 420 SQFT, 87.5' Perimeter, Salt Water, Waterfall, Oklahoma flagstone. Equipment: Hayward V/S, 425 SQFT Cartridge filter, Pool Pilot Digital Nano http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...tx-t38458.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inconsistent Cl Tests

It could certainly be out of date reagents. The bottle should have a lot number that you can check on Taylors website for the date.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Also, keep in mind that the OTO (shades of yellow) chlorine test is not really meant to be precise but rather VERY consistent and easy to perform.

The forum suggests to use the OTO to check for the presence and range of chlorine but use the FAS/DPD for precision.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The bottle should have a lot number that you can check on Taylors website for the date.
    Is this new? I haven't seen it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Apparently I was thinking about something else when I wrote that. Excuse me while I slink out of the room
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit