More confussed than ever before! AGP ?'s for install, etc.

lulupalooza

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
Evans, GA
Forgive me if I sound dumb. But I have been reading on another forum that I once belong to, but for the life of me can't get back into. Reading on some of the FAQ specifally the sand vs styrofoam bottom.

Now doughboy uses the styrofoam bottoms- no sand- I was told this is because the sand will wash away eventually and also because of the nutgrass that can grow through the bottom/sides of the liner.

The company we are going through uses sand- told me that the foam underlay causes fungus and mildew under the liner. Now in reading the FAQ's I see no mention of this anywhere.

Can anyone please give me more insight to the pros/cons of either or? This is a big investment and I want years of enjoyment, not years of misery after 2 or 3 yrs. KWIM?

Would it be wrong to install something like visqueen or even this happy bottom stuff I read about and then lay the sand on top of that, then the liner? And I guess I better find out what kind of sand they are going to be using.

Then there is the use of duct tape- says don't use it, that it bleeds through eventually. I can see I am going to have lots to do tomorrow, before we sign our life away on Monday!

TYIA and for the valuable help so far!

I put down sand, plus the happy foam, duct taped the joints, this was 6 years ago, and not a bit of trouble yet. Putting sand on top of the happy bottom seems silly to me. Sand, by nature, compacts. Happy foam does not. Putting something harder on top of something softer is really sort of backwards. Keep in mind, that if you use the sand, keep the thickness of the happy foam in mind when you grade it off. As for mold, who cares? If mold grows under your liner, what difference does it make?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.