Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Clarity Issue? (snicker)

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Clarity Issue? (snicker)

Came up with my own way, home grown water clarity test. I tossed a dime into the deep end and observed. Easily was able to see that it was heads and coined in 1994. Issue is that I can't make out the mint mark. Should I be concerned or even panic and go buy some "snake oil" from the local pool stealer?? Please advise...the anxiety is overwhelming!!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Clarity Issue? (snicker)

Get to the store ASAP!!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think some clarifier (39.99) and some flock will help that. Then you'll have to vacuum to waste and now all your chemistry will be off and we can sell you some more chemicals to help balance the water. Make sure your adding weekly doses of algaecide, phosphate remover, shock, clarifier, and don't forget to use our fancy supreme plus to help your water feel soft.

Do you think I covered everything?
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

4. Back To Top    #4

Use a quarter and quit your whining!(Bigger Print)
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MNPoolDreamer
    I think some clarifier (39.99) and some flock will help that. Then you'll have to vacuum to waste and now all your chemistry will be off and we can sell you some more chemicals to help balance the water. Make sure your adding weekly doses of algaecide, phosphate remover, shock, clarifier, and don't forget to use our fancy supreme plus to help your water feel soft.

Do you think I covered everything?
    ...................You left out the metal sequestrant cause he's throwin' nickles in his pool!....................................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

As long as you can count the ridges on the edge you should be OK.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Heard that 4 bags of Kitty Litter would help the filter. And...I should dump the acid from my car battery in the pool to adjust something... Going to aerate with a Johnson Outboard engine....should that "fix" me??? Pool store said I need calcium...spoiled milk work???

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by samiguy
    Going to aerate with a Johnson Outboard engine....should that "fix" me???
    No more reading threads like this while drinking coffee. I almost sprayed my monitor!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by samiguy
    Going to aerate with a Johnson Outboard engine....
    Only if it's a 2-cycle! You're also going to need some of our Super Pool Rx to break the oil down, and then some Super ShockyFloc to drop the stuff to the bottom and then some Super SlickyVac so it doesn't stick to your vac hose when you vacuum it to waste. But since you have a cartridge filter you can't vacuum to waste so you'll need our Super Service Guy to come out and add a waste line all the way back to the waste processing plant! That should take care of it!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Stop! My sides are hurting!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

You need to clean that water. A couple pounds of Tide detergent ought to do it. Check the phosphates; if they're below 5000, add lawn fertilizer to bring it up. Then shut everything down and let the pool "work" for a week. If you're in a hurry, tell the kids to use the pool if they only need to go number one.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

You guys are the best!! All this help and I'm sure I will have a sparkling oasis real soon!! Found out that Sakrete has calcium in it..so...how many bags you think I should add to this wonderul solution I have bubbling in my back yard now?? Can't wait for my mother-in-law to enjoy!!!!
    By the way...should I be concerned that there is a little bit of smoke coming off the water???